Novice NY Photog

Son Dean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, thanks for reading. Obviously Im new here and I just wanted to introduce myself and remark on how hot of a site this is. Theres a lot of content on here and it looks like a place where I can learn a few things. I have to say thanks to my brother in law, who put me up on this site. good sh** man. Thanks!

Turthfully, I am a novice photographer who snaps a pic or two here and there. Below, are a few shots that I would like to share with the community. Any tips, constructive criticism or recommendations are always appreciated and respected...

City By Storm
lightning001.jpg

Perpetual Ashes
random086.jpg

Cranial Eclipse
40d255.jpg

Shedrow
IMG_1457.jpg

Sunny STi
IMG_2322.jpg

Fred Up
IMG_0089.jpg

Last edited:
scary... your cat looks exactly like mine. Bit weirded out by it actually. Not bad photos, make sure to watch your reflections (guy in the car bumper), fill the frame like you did with that cat and get rid of stuff that doesn't help your subject.

well, they say everyone has a twin.... maybe it applies to animals too? lol

thanks for the advice. im embarrased to say that I didnt even notice that my brother in laws reflection was caught in the bumper. youve got a great eye and I will definitely take your advice... fill in the frame...

I really need to work on my indoor photos... they tend to come out with a tint from the lighting...

Last edited:
I know I am doing something wrong then, because everytime I adjust it the image still comes out the same... I'll figure it out... its a 40D... pretty easy to work with, but cant set the WB to save my life...

Well here's what I pulled from your manual:
- Photograph a pure white object in the lighting your using (good 'ol printer paper)
- Go into your WB menu and select custom then press 'set'
- Import the WB data by using the dial to select the picture you took press 'set' then 'ok'
You can check it out by searching Custom White Balance here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-EOS-40D-Manual.pdf

You are the man! Thank you for taking the time to research that for me! Okay, you have convinced me to mail you your cat back. lol

In "Shedrow" it seems like the man walking the horse up from the left is a little distracting, and I only say this because there is a lot of emotion (whether I'm projecting that or not) on the horse's face. Although he's probably in the middle of chewing the hay, the timing of the shot makes it look almost as if he's nuzzling against it, with a look of resignation.

I don't think cropping him and the other horse out would help...it's just a shame that they're in the frame. I really like it.

i always felt that something needs to be in the frame, but technically speaking there is always something in the frame. Im going to try to fill it in a little more like suggested and see what results yield from it. Im pretty high on bokeh and tend to take a lot of photos with it, but this particular shot I wanted to capture the horse and caught the hotwalker turning the corner as well... after transferring the images to my mac, and seeing how the hotwalker was blurred, I felt it was one of my better shots that day, and viola. But I understand your comment, I will try again tomorrow, minus the horse and hotwalker.

And of course... Thank you ;-)

Last edited:
And a few more...

Windows Edge
IMG_1588.jpg

Hay You
IMG_1472.jpg

Executive Fleet
IMG_0379.jpg

The Portal
IMG_0847.jpg

City Transportation
IMG_0488.jpg

Belmont
IMG_0409.jpg

Anyone else have any suggestions on how I can improve on my photos? Besides photoshopping them to all hell? lol.

Anyone?

Hmmm, about 125 views and a handful of comments.. are these pics that good or that bad? lol. Perhaps I need more dramatic photos, or photos that capture something people dont always see... hmmmm... I have a mission now...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.. I got my WB working, without having to use the custom WB approach.. I was forgetting that there was another dial on the back of the camera. duh.... Only problem now is I cant set the white balance when using the manual setting. Im sure its covered in the manual somewhere...

Last edited:
After reviewing the owners manual (and some trial and error), I figured out that the WB in manual mode sets itself according to the shutter speed, aperture and ISO... when I was messing with the camera I had all the settings out of whack, which is why I couldnt understand why the pics were coming out dark.

Dead giveaway that I am a n00b. oh well... ;-)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back