NoviceAttempt

Your photo is very large, and some may give up due to long download time. For more responses, try resizing the picture to 700 wide.
I like the photo very much. You have such great clarity in the eyes. Keep at it, you are doing well.

This is the first photo I took with my new Canon Rebel. How can I improve?

[img=http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1345/jayzblackzm1.th.jpg]

How can you improve, that is a very generic unspecific question ;)

I like the image, but living things are not easy for a start (my first digital image was a woman on my sofa, so I know what I am talking of, not too much difference :p )

the eyes are in focus ... dead-on, which is good. maybe framed a bit too tightly for my taste.

just go try some more images, and post those you like the most and the least, and wait for reactions on the forum :)

I guess I am a little insecure about my abilities and potential as a photographer that's why I posted this. In my mind I think it's a good photo, but I wanted the insight of people who know photography.

amusiqsollov: i've been working on a critique of your photograph. please be patient with me as my friday through monday work schedule is, well, harsh. i only post this in advance of my completed post to let you know that:

In my mind I think it's a good photo

as do i, for many reasons.

Ah, I am already curious to read motcon's critique - it will be GOOD! Indepth and informative. To be knowing that he's working on one is something to wait for patiently, amusiqsollv.

Oh, and welcome to ThePhotoForum!

Ah, I am already curious to read motcon's critique - it will be GOOD! Indepth and informative. To be knowing that he's working on one is something to wait for patiently, amusiqsollv.

my work week is finally over. will continue and finish the crit this eve.

Well let me toss this in while everyone holds their breath.

I like the shot. I am with alex it is a little tight. Ordinarily I would complain about the lines in the background behind the dog, oh what the heck I will anyway. I know that in the real world of photography you take what the shot gives you. Just so you know it is always best to have as plain a backround as possible. That is so that it doesn't distract from the subject.

These days that has changed some when bridal portrats have 1932 fords in the shot to compete with the bride. Oh well things change.

But i do like the shot but then I'm a dog person. If it had been a cat I wouldn't be so forgiving lol.

Well let me toss this in while everyone holds their breath.

i sincerely doubt that anyone has been holding his/her breath as two full days without oxygen can't be all that healthy.

from my past experiences, very few people care about reading such critiques. the reasons have been and are many:

"it's my photograph and i don't care what anyone else thinks"

"the guidelines of art are meant to be broken, (my words - even though i don't know the guidelines)"

"i managed to view the first mark up and read the first paragraph, but can't be bothered to read the rest. can you make it shorter?"

"this is photography, not art. (my words -let me take my pictures and let the artists worry about creating highly presentable pieces of work)

"just who do you think you are, anyway? (my words - i haven't bothered to do any research about the material that you present; i'd rather spend my time doing frivolous things and put forth an ad hominem remark in hopes of putting you on the defensive)

it's the same. everywhere. with everything, not just photography.

i do it because the marriage of art and photography is, to me, probably the most fortunate thing that has ever happened in my life and i love to view other's work, do critiques, and create my own work.

no breath holding here. sure, there are some who are interested and i appreciate them to no end. the majority of people take a laissez-faire approach to these sorts of things...

..and you know what? that is perfectly fine in my world because i get to do one of the things that i most love.

I have no idea what THAT was about. But if you somehow found that remark offensive I assure you that it wasn't meant to be.

oh heck no; not in the least. i simply used your post to make a general statement. in life i find very little to be offensive....i haven't the time for it. no worries, mate.

However I don't plan to apologize for giving my opinion on a photograph humble or otherwise.

wouldn't expect your nor anyone else to do so. ever. opinions are what keeps forums such as this to be inspiring and ever growing. to the objective and open minded individual, opinions are also always learning opportunities.

i've no interest in being at odds with you, my friend. we are both part of this forum for the same reasons. that makes us brethren, if not kindred souls.

overall, the main reason i desired to critique this image is that i find it to be very strong in composition, mood, capture of moment, dof control, and perspective.

i haven't scaled the original image at all. the original:

jayzblackzm1.jpg

let's start with the background. there are three main categories of backgrounds; standard portrait backgrounds which are generally either plain (single color) or dyed to be blurred via dof. environmental backgrounds which, referring to your photograph, would include a lot more information about the dog's surroundings. contextual/compositional backgrounds which add elements and depth to a composition without burdening the viewer or distracting the viewer. your photograph clearly falls in to the third category.

the background dof, in whatever manner you achieved it, works exceedingly well. it's blurred just enough to permit the viewer to focus on the subject, yet it is absent what, in this photograph, would be overwhelming bokeh. the colors of the dog are simplistic; a strong bokeh would muddy the overall achievement. as mentioned, you also have the ideal focus area as well.

compositionally, the background and crop (the third type of background mentioned) in conjunction with the capture of the dog's moment in time are what make this photograph appealing. let's start with the background.

this overlay is, indeed, part of the golden (rule, mean, standard, section, et al):

diag.jpg

this portion of the gs (golden standard) is meant to show both the strongest of diagonals as well as placement of key focus (intersections).

there exists many key diagonals :

diagmu.jpg

the pink markings show the natural (ie static) diagonals of the background. the blue marking shows that even the tilt of the head is near enough in line with the llc (lower left corner) to urc (upper right corner) diagonal.

what i find to be very eloquent is the tight static diagonals of materials made by man contrasted with the textures, fluffiness, cuteness, and flesh and blood of the dog.

let's have a look at the gss (golden standard spiral):

jayzblackzm3.jpg

the blue marking denotes the optimal area of center of focus. you are in the 'area'. the yellow shows the soft contour of the spiral aligned with the lower portion of the subject. both are pleasing to the 'natural eye'; the way we see objects in nature.

if we flip the spiral (and for the sake of change) show the gss (golden standard sections):

jayzblackzmspiralflip.jpg

blue marking: we see the area of focus near in spiral area
yellow marking: once again, soft contour along the spiral line

in nature there exists a lot of triangulation; we are subject to it everyday. triangles in nature exist mostly as a part of the whole. in architecture, the triangle is known as the strongest and most stable of all forms of shape. in art, triangulation strikes us, but we may not even be aware of that fact:

jayzblackzm2.jpg

red: some of your diagonals
blue: the intersecting point of diagonals in relation to center of focus
yellow: triangulation

note the triangulation (sick of seeing that word by now, i suppose...no fear, this portion is nearly finished) and the natural triangulation of the living form. there are many more areas in this photograph, i merely highlighted the most impactful.

balance. we always need to be aware of balance in a photograph. strange thing, balance. balance does not always mean 'centered' nor does it always mean 'symmetrical'. i could speak about every portion of this critique all night through the morning as i do so enjoy it, but for the sake of brevity (i think i blew that 3 paragraphs ago), here is a synopsis of 'balance':

oh, which reminds me...over coffee i was chatting with someone about 'balance' and we proceeded to draw 23ish examples of how to view balance. we drew them, she then viewed each one and declared which portion of the composition seemed to carry more 'weight' or 'emphasis'. after the hours of conversation and drawing, i asked her why she made the balance statements that she did. after a short pause, her answer, 'because we read left to right and we acknowledge black (darker objects) as being heavier than white (lighter objects). further, we view 'cornered' (rectangle, square, etc.) as being heavier than 'rounded' (circle, ellipse, etc.) as being heavier.

your original:

jayzblackzm1.jpg

flipped:

flipped.jpg

one may very well like the flipped version better than the original, but let's face it, it's very heavy in the urc. almost feels as though gravity wants to pull it down from the right side.

ok, that's balance.

back to your photograph. you have only a slight balance issue on the right side. the darkest areas of the photograph take residence there.

further, as little space as there may appear to be between the edge of the frame on the right and the dog, it may be a smidge too much.

let's have a look at what this does to your balance and composition:

jayzblackzmneg.jpg

the crop:

jayzblackzmcrop1.jpg

the spiral and diagonals:

jayzblackzmcrop1s3.jpg

purple: notice how tightly the eye fits between the diagonals and sits in the urc
yellow: the eye is now happily within the spiral

it goes without saying that you captured a wonderful moment in this dog's life....such a delicate expression and loving eyes. i'm also smitten with the perspective of the shot. i'm unclear as to what lens you used and it is difficult to guess, but i'd venture to say 50mm or a bit lower. had you used a, say 105mm or so, you would've lost a key element in this photograph.

there is a lot more to be said here, but i shall leave it to you to view what i've posted and think about what you like about your photograph.

subjectively, i like this quite a bit. it's not an everyday pet snap. well done.

Oh Jesus with the drawings. It works or it doesn't. The rule of thirds, or any "rule" for that matter will go about as far as I throw it.

darn morton, you beat me to it. I was going to say the same. More or less.
(Well apart from your friend's remark about the 'reading from left to right' of course, because this doesn't apply to all people as you know).

So, a heartfelt 'I agree' will suffice.

I agree.

pascal

Most reactions

Back