Now I have a problem •J•

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
A lot of thoughts running through the skull cap as we speak. Between Arty and Jon Mikal and DigiMatt having life issues... Is the moon in a weird position?

I feel selfish, but I have (moments ago) been confronted with a deal. Summer theater needs to know why I have not auditioned for their production of Neil Simon's "The Odd Couple". I will probably be playing a supporting role as opposed to the the leads.

Long story short... They need me. I did not show up to auditions and the director of the theater called me up (at home while we were eating dinner) and asked "why were you not at auditions?" It is a paying gig June thru September.

The problem is that the pay is very weak compared to what I make during the summer in photography. The problem is that I REALLY want to act all summer long. Plus we all know that the "Odd Couple" is an amazing script. Can I give up a life in photography for a life in theater? That is definetly a tad dramatic but this decision could be crtical. Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I say go with your gut. Do you need the extra money you'll get from photography, or can you live without it? Would you be a lot happier acting? Those are probably the two main factors to consider. Basically, is the happiness worth the money? Good luck in making the right choice. :wink:

Why not combine the two? Do the theatre and take your camera with you. Shots of the play, a photo-essay from behind the scenes, portraits of the actors. Lots of possibilities, some of which you should be able to sell.
When you can't make a choice between two options it's always best to try and do them both.

If you can find a way to do both that would be ideal...but if you can't, I think you have to weigh the financial benefit vs. the personal happiness. If you need the money from photography and it would be stressful to try and do without that extra cash then I would do that. If you feel that acting would make you happier and you can make do without the extra cash from the photography...well, I'd choose happiness of money any day. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the input gang! The theater group seems to think I can do both as well. I will pick up the script this evening and read on Monday. Just a "formality". I will be hoping for the role of "Speed" three nights a week. At this moment in time (after a lot of convincing) I am psyched and I embrace the challenge. What does not kill you makes you stronger; right?

If I can bore you with the details: Peer pressure (thanks guys; you were supposed to say "leave the theater because it is dead") made me realize that we need to be challenged. Kind of makes you feel alive. My passion for the theater arts is something not to to be denied. So, I suggest that everyone reading this should go out and volunteer at the local community theater. Yes, now!

Hertz (as always) brought up an excellent point. Combining the two would be interesting. I have tossed that idea around since I started the stage craft. I have even posted shots from a lot the productions that I was involved in. Personally; the last thing on my mind when I am "working" is photography. Definitely a bummer because there are a lot of amazing shots to be had.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back