Now I truly understand copyright infringement..

kylehess10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kylehessphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I attended a Martin Prado autograph signing today held in Atlanta (he plays for the Braves), and while I was standing in line, I noticed some guy about 2 people in front of me getting a photo signed that I had recognized as a photo I had posted on Flickr of Prado. I don't post my full-res images on Flickr, but the biggest size you can get off it is 1024x680. It looked like he got a clear 8x10 out of it. I was really aggrivated but didn't say anything because once I open my mouth in situations it goes in crazy directions that lead me into trouble.

But, now I really understand what it feels like to have your work taken from you. It's nice to know that out of all the photos on Flickr of Prado, he liked mine, but still, nothing gave him permission to print it out, and my photos don't have the creative commons license.

I guess it goes to show that you really don't understand the feeling of copyright infringement until it happens to you.

So for anyone out there who has nice photography and wants to protect their work: USE A COPYRIGHT LOGO! I have one, but don't use it much. Now I plan on using it on every photo I post on Flickr.

This is the photo he printed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53312364@N00/3985382099/in/set-72157622042652570/

I've had people really get on my arse for never posting on websites sans a watermark, but this is why I always do it now. It only takes happening to you once for you to realize that watermarking, even on jpeg web only level photos is a necessary evil. It used to be a 75dpi web jpeg was pretty much beyond any decent print, but with some of the printers they're making lately it doesn't take nearly as much to grab a photo online and print a usable copy out. Even if they can't quite do that they can still use it on a web page sans permission and claim it as their own. Yeah, some watermarks can be removed but still that's some level of protection and at least they'll really have to work for it!

I'm very sorry this happened to you. Hopefully it was only for their personal use and not gotten for sale at a later date. I'd keep an eye on Ebay just to be sure for a while though just to make sure they're not making multiples of this guy's autograph on your photo to sell.

You never know...

but the biggest size you can get off it is 1024x680. It looked like he got a clear 8x10 out of it.

Sorry this happened to you... 1024x680 is way more than enough data to get an 8x10. It has absolutely nothing to do with the printer itself.

btw.. just remember this applies to many works not just photography. I've met a few photographers who get all bent out of shape when it happens but they have no problems copying other people's stuff for free (software, music, etc).

I have bad news for you.

Just because there is a copyright statement on your photos doesn't mean they won't get stolen. A copyright statement can be cropped out, or cloned out using image editing software.

Here's bad news - part two.

If your photo's copyright isn't registered with the US Copyright Office you're severely limited in what legal actions you could persue were someone profiting from a photo they stole from you, like gettting a ball players autograph on it to then copy and distribute widely. www.copyright.gov

IMO, you should have said something. I sure would have.

The bottom line is....The only sure way to keep people from stealing your digital photos is to not put them online.

So the next time you upload a photo to Flickr (or any other web site), be sure and pat it on the ass and kiss it goodbye as you do.

if some joe schmuck printed off one of my photos for something like that, i wouldn't care less. If it was a company, than sure.

Well this happens

You should of offered to sign your piece of art!

if some joe schmuck printed off one of my photos for something like that, i wouldn't care less. If it was a company, than sure.

You should of offered to sign your piece of art!

Heh two thoughts that were going through my mind ;)
We have to remember that - whilst its no defence - many people don't see printing off (or even using) images they find on the net as illegal nor that there is any moral wrong either.
The concept of owning digital data is something that has yet to fully feed into many peoples minds - the fact that much of this goes on without strong dicipline or punishment against the common person tends to give it a big of freedom and people just don't realise.

Chances are you saying you were the photographer though would have put a cold shiver up the guys back - and a polite reminder and stuff never hurts - heck you might even have found out that it was his shot and that he was teh guy next to you at the game ;)

Company use is different and they have lawyers who do know the law ;)

that kinda sucks. great shot though!

Why are people constantly shocked and outraged that pictures they post online sometimes get taken/stolen?

You wouldn't post your bank details on this forum and then be upset that somebody cleared your account out. No, because that would be stupid.

The internet's been around for a while now, we really should get used to the idea that everybody else can see it too, even unscrupulous people who want to save your picture to their desktop.

what lens did you use to shoot that baseball game?

As a programmer, I've often had people steal my work, and on occasion, have even modified it to pass it off as their own. Personally I view it as flattery...

On more than one occasion, the way I approached people about this has lead to paying work. I view my photography the same way. Although it's not what I do for a living, showing my photos has helped me find work.

If you really care about other people using your work without permission then you need to copyright it. Anything posted online can be used by people. Even with a copyright, is the photo worth the hassle of doing something about it?

You'll have to weigh the exposure against the risks.

If you really care that much about someone else using your photo you should not post it online. Personally I would be thrilled if I saw someone using a picture I took to get signed!

As some have said, don't post it online without a water mark if you don't want people to use it.
you can always lower the res for the web (even 800x600 is totally viewable)

Most reactions

Back