Now the laughing begins

Dubie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I swear I am looking into classes this fall!

Here's the problem. I have a Nikon N60. I don't think the lens is the one that came with it. I borrowed from my brother. Lens is a Quantaray 28-80 mm D. I am reading Undertsanding Exposure and I am reading about setting and using the camera in manual exposure and it says to experiment and set the lens to 5.6...how???? I pulled off the lens and the little orange dot stays on 22 and if I don't set that little lock thingy, you can change the lens to 5.6 but then I get an error code of FEE....So it's in the locked position and it only stays on F2.7

Who wants to come live with me??? LOL

Could try adjusting the aperture while in Aperture Mode. Just a guess; mind you 99.9% of cameras work this way - yours may well be in the .1% range.

Could try adjusting the aperture while in Aperture Mode. Just a guess; mind you 99.9% of cameras work this way - yours may well be in the .1% range.
I think that lens has a physical aperture ring on it. On my old non-autofocus Canon FD lenses the ring can be set to any aperture at any time(even off of the camera) or on "AUTO" mode. Her Nikon is an older film camera(I don't know Nikon glass technologies) but I'm sure it probably works the same way.

This is th ebest image of the lens I could find and I don't see how the ring turns at all but I do see aperture values printed on the lens aligning with a dot so we're getting somewhere.

product_84931.jpg

This looks different and has no orange dot but claims to be a Nikon mount quantaray 28-80

quantaray_28-80mm.JPG

(by counting the textured areas) Here it looks like the ring order is, zoom ring, then focus ring, then aperture ring (the 4th ring is the lens cap)

Try seeing if there is a button on the aperture ring that needs to be pressed as it rotates. The button might have looked like a nub to you before or soemthing.

set the ring to f/22, you have to adjust the aperture in the cameras manual mode using a dial or knob or something, in auto mode the camera will adjust the aperture automatically.
you never actually move the ring on the newer nikon cameras such as yours

set the ring to f/22, you have to adjust the aperture in the cameras manual mode using a dial or knob or something, in auto mode the camera will adjust the aperture automatically.
you never actually move the ring on the newer nikon cameras such as yours

Thanks, I'll keep working at it. Yeah, the ring don't move at all. I did not have an owners manual so I had to buy one online and I've been reading up.....it's tough when all you ever worked with was a p&s digital.

With the N60 you set the aperture with the lens. The FEE message you are getting is when you set your camera on P and do not have the lens set on F22. As has been stated all you need to do is to set you camera in A or Aperture priority or M or Manual and use the meter in the camera to set the exposure to what you need. If you look in the viewfinder you will see something like this -<--------l-------->+ and you will see dashes on one side of the middle or the other you need to center this as best you can to get the right exposure. The easiest way would be to use Aperture priority so you set the aperture and the camera will set the shutter speed you need but if you fel confident in your abilities use manual and set both till ou get it centered. The main thing to remember is unless you are using a tripod for a relatively still subject do not go any lower than 1/30th of a second.

Thanks JIP...that helped a lot:D

Most reactions

Back