Now trying more Street Candid & People - Insights and Feelings on it appreciated

Why do you take the shots of the downtrodden?

For me well being a recovering alcoholic with 10yrs of sobriety and being one of those downtrodden for a time!
I do try and keep them unrecognizable as an individual and capture the feeling of sadness if gives me.
And for the most part successful at maintaining their anonymity.
And my works are made available for non-profit to use in their websites or publications.
And have had a few images used by those kind of organizations.
To keep the homeless plight in societies eye & mind! And nope I don't even try to make money off of those kind of prints.

Is that is wrong ? As I feel a personal connection and understanding of the homeless that many do not?
And this is one way I can share my take on it.

Then give it your whole heart, make them the best they can be. One of the other street photographers on here (he has like a 20 page thread) actually pays the homeless for their allowing him to shoot them. If they are awake and you pay them after, then no using and no shame. Here's a step further, get some of their stories - I know you can relate to how easy it is for someone to end up in their position. Make them human and reach others who would read their stories.

BTW how do you make your works "available for non-profit use"?

Fern
user-online.png

Thanks for the info and insights. And I do volunteer works at shelters,food banks and give the occasional food bought with my cash to give to them.

I do not interrupt them when sleeping,passed-out. And rarely give cash as then they would go and buy booze with it. Which isn't helping them or our society.

I get the feeling you still feel I am in some way taking advantage of them?
Could be wrong as you didn't accept what I was saying and still thought I should be doing more?
And assumed I was not doing more? Could be wrong but get the feeling of my actions and intentions are being judged.

And my images are on flickr where you can set picture rights for images and give them common use or in my images Attribution, Noncommercial, Share Alike. Which means use for your personal pleasure,blogs,etc.. but may not make money from them without my specific permission. Which I gave to the Sisters of the Road Cafe for their auction to raise money for their feed the homeless restaurant as a past example.

Last edited:
Not judging, just going with what you seemed to be expressing - a bit of angst over if it was invasive or not.
Having worked for a rescue mission for five years I understand about giving cash - don't usually do it myself.
Your work is powerful and moving. My favorite of the one set is the contrast of the man on the bench in front of the "success" bulletin board.
That is very cool about your work being able to be used by to raise funds for the needy!
BTW - checked out your Flickr - some more nice stuff there - you are prolific and a good shot as well.

Last edited:
Miscommunication...

Orb, I read it as Fern being very supportive of what you are doing, and that you should do more, in the way of take more photos.

I agree. Your images are powerful, your heart seems to be in the right place, so, screw the naysayers!

Thanks all and sorry if I took it the wrong'ish way. As yep right have a litte angst about it. And it's not like I have to do this or do that. As this is just a main passion is to capture images in my own kind of light.

Yesterday there was a very poignant capture of a homeless on a park bench that moved me. But wouldn't shot it as no way to take the shot without a completely recognizable individual. And that was an easy crossing the line call on my part. But sometimes it is not so easy decision.

Thanks again for the kind words and support. Even the ones delving into my motivations which helps me internally to challenge my perceptions and motivations.

Hi Orb,
I have been wanting to comment on this, but have simply been short on time. Rather than get into a long drawn out narrative, here are some of my thoughts.

1) When shooting the homeless and it is something I do not do often. In fact, it is pretty rare for me. Why? Because I have been working with them for over 10 years. I am a volunteer
at the Union Rescue mission in L.A. and in addition, I also pass out care packages on my own. In fact, in the back of my truck, I have a large tote with food and hygiene products ready to go...
See here and scroll down half way through until you get to Julian, then start reading...Street Vision: September 2009
Now please, do not miss understand. I say this NOT to brag, because I hate talking about what I do, but having shared this, I know for a fact that many other street shooters have started to do the
same....In fact, just today, I took out another class (Yes, I take people out to teach them the ropes on street shooting, but no more than three at a time) and it is always interesting to see the
reactions of my little care packages...The only times, I shoot them, is if they ask me too and rarely will I share those pictures....I do not believe in giving them money as that is usually a mistake...

2) Never hide and try and be sneaky. I will have to disagree on the long zoom lens. To take a good picture, you need to be ''in'' the scene. I tell my students to use 24, 28, 30, or 35mm prime lens, with a 50 being max
on an APS-C crop body.

3) Confidence...I can't stress this enough. Don't confuse confidence with guts...They are different.

I have much more to say, but there is a customer here and I gots to go. Be back later.

Take a look here as well.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photo-themes/169495-capture-stranger-street-style.html

Most reactions

Back