Now what?

KEF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My new Canon T2i arrived in the mail yesterday, now what?! This is my very first DSLR, so I have no clue what to do with it.

My instinct tells me to get out there and take pictures and learn through practice, but seeing all these settings, I really am overwhelmed. Advice on where to start, please!

Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS Rebel T2i/EOS 550D (9781600597930): Michael Guncheon: Books. This is a link to the "Magic Lantern Guide" for your T2i. These are easy to understand books about the camera... Much easier than the camera user manuals. First, work to understand the relationship between ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. It is a give and take with many possible "correct" combinations for proper exposure. Then set your camera on aperture mode and shoot some images. Don't worry about wasting images.. That is the beauty of digital. Shoot the same composition at different apertures and check the "info" on each shot to see how different apertures changed the shutter speeds. You control the depth of field (the area of sharp focus) with the camera in aperture mode and the camera determines the shutter speed. Leave it on auto ISO until you are more comfortable with the settings. Work to become knowledgeable with the camera controls.. Learn one at a time and keep practicing until it becomes intuitive and you can find and use that control without thinking about it. The more you practice, the easier it gets. When you feel ready, set the camera on Tv or shutter speed mode and shoot the same composition in that mode checking the info on those shots. Many believe shooting in aperture mode is the way for beginners to start if they want to take control of the camera. Using the camera in full auto mode will give you the shot but you won't have creative control over it and that is why you bought a DSLR camera! Enjoy that new camera and don't be intimidated by it!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Read the manual and then go out and mess up a bunch of pictures until you figure out what you are doing. Have fun!

Scan trough this website. Ask questions on this forum. Dont get offended when we give you harsh comments. You should be good to go ;)
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

Last edited:
You have to start somewhere. I agree with Ebelbk that if you are actually interested in photography, I recommend you read a few web articles on the exposure triangle*. Then put your camera in "M"anual mode and put what you read into practice.

When you get a grip on how shutter speed and depth of field affect your images (this shouldn't take long, maybe 3-5 hours of practicing, not just randomly shooting) and how those relate to the exposure triangle*, start reading about composition.

Then, when you have some practice with composition, start reading about how light affects photography.

That would be my recommendation anyway...

*Technically exposure only relies on aperture and shutter speed, however, ISO absolutely affects the exposure of the final image, just like aperture and shutter speed. It is therefore considered a third "leg" of exposure, creating the exposure triangle.

This is my very first DSLR, so I have no clue what to do with it.....but seeing all these settings, I really am overwhelmed.

....Advice on where to start, please!
It's a camera. You take pictures with it.

Start at the beginning. :thumbup: Which as suggested means reading the camera user's manual so you become familiar with what all those buttons and settings do.

Using all of those settings, features, and functions the camera has available for you to use to make quality photographs requires gaining both a technical understanding of how the camera and photography work, and an artistic understanding of how visual art works.

Digital Photography Tutorials for some of the techical stuff.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad for some of the artisitic stuff.

Turn the nob on top to P, try to set iso to auto. Slowly learn to switch to A and tv settings and then manual if you'd like. Don't waste your time with auto or the little picture ones either. Have fun! It'll take awhile to learn everything P is as automatic as you can get in the beginning.

Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS Rebel T2i/EOS 550D (9781600597930): Michael Guncheon: Books. This is a link to the "Magic Lantern Guide" for your T2i. These are easy to understand books about the camera... Much easier than the camera user manuals.
I agree with all of your post except for this. In my experience, the Magic Lantern series are nothing more than the manufacturer's manual with a new cover and (sometimes) slightly better illustrations, and, of course, the $20 price-tag affixed to the cover. Companyies spend a LOT of money on their manuals, and they're usually pretty darn good. Magic Lantern Guides, IMO, are a waste of money.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back