Now Where Did That Dang Lens Cap Go? A Query for All

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While you are in the process of shooting, where do you keep your lens cap? I don't recall this particular question being asked on the boards, so I'm curious.

I'm a creature of habit, so for me, 97% of the time the lens cap is in the left-front pockect of my pants. 1% I'm just in my boxers, so I tuck it on the left side, under the waistband. 1% of the time I'm butt naked, so I leave it in the camera bag.

As soon as I'm finished, even temporarily, I replace the cap on the lens. ;)

What is your modus operandi with the lens cap? What do you do with it while you're shooting? Is it even a concern of yours?

Right pocket of my hoodie. Then I put it back on while I search for more subjects to take pics of.

Pocket, or if I'm going to be shooting for a while, I will tuck it into one one of the pockets on my black rapid strap.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that wonders these things! I usually put it in my right back pocket. Off topic, but another question I've been wondering...do you keep your camera in your bag with a lens attached, or do you always disassemble it? I always take the lens off of the camera, but I'm wondering if I'm just being too anal. lol

Also, what pictures are you taking in your under/naked?? lol

I always keep mine in my front left or right pocket. In answer to Sammie_Lou's one question, I always leave the lens stored on the camera, in the camera bag.

Where the lens goes. If in a certain compartment in the bag the cover is there , if in a seperate case the cover is there.
-
Shoot well, Joe

I no longer use them much...seriously...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that wonders these things! I usually put it in my right back pocket. Off topic, but another question I've been wondering...do you keep your camera in your bag with a lens attached, or do you always disassemble it? I always take the lens off of the camera, but I'm wondering if I'm just being too anal. lol

Also, what pictures are you taking in your under/naked?? lol

I just drop mine in the camera bag.

Sammie, I had asked this question a while back. I found out that keeping the lens on the body seems to be of the popular opinion the best way to go. First, you are not wearing out the contacts/mechanicals of the attachment area. Secondly, every time you take the lens off the body you are giving opportunity for FOD (Foreign Objects or Debris) to enter the camera body and the rear glass of your lens. Since I have gotten my camera (I only have one lens) I have taken the lens off once.

Also wondering why your shooting naked/boxers? The another question, what happened to the other 1%? Is this when you shoot wearing only your red toga?

Oh and my cap always goes in my left back pocket.

Last edited:
side pockets if I'm out shooting on the move, camera bag if I'm doing landscapes cause I'll be there awhile and don't really need to put the lens cap on quickly.

Pocket usually, if I have a pocket.

Most reactions

Back