NSFW Photo Essay 2 - A girl and her Fuji Instax

"...but she gets bored and fidgety quickly

She has the soul of a cat, playful, willful, could sleep all day, obsessed with food, and needs something to keep her amused to get her stay still (when she's not asleep)."

This should give you a sense of foreboding...

This should give you a sense of foreboding...

- I like cats, and after 9 years together and think she's a keeper

Couple more shots from a weekend trip, I thought the brickwork could make a nice background .... ?
2019_0303_10520200.jpg

2019_0303_10521800_20190305153129482.jpg

Sorry for the stupid question, but I do not understand how you can make a photo with a blur where a girl is depicted and in the foreground a clear photo on paper (film?). I have a cool camera but I don't seem to remember that there was such a function. Can someone explain to me how it works? How so it turns out that it is the foreground that is blurred on one side, so that it hides what is in the background. I'm a beginner and still just learning, tell me how to do it better, or I will have to buy a new camera

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the stupid question, but I do not understand how you can make a photo with a blur where a girl is depicted and in the foreground a clear photo on paper (film?). I have a cool camera from compact click, but I don't seem to remember that there was such a function. Can someone explain to me how it works? How so it turns out that it is the foreground that is blurred on one side, so that it hides what is in the background. I'm a beginner and still just learning, tell me how to do it better, or I will have to buy a new camera

It's the lens that creates this effect, but there's several factors. All lenses have a zone that it in focus, known as the depth of field, and the rest of the image will be out of focus.

The depth of the in-focus 'depth of field's depends on the aperture of the lens. The aperture is the size of the hole inside the lens that let's in the light.

At wide apertures (large openings) the depth of field is very narrow, so if I use a wide aperture and focus on the paper photograph image, the girl in the background will be outside the depth of field, and so put of focus.

This effect is more commonly used in portraits, so the person is in focus, but the background is blurred.

There's three other factors influencing how narrow the depth of field can be:

Size of the image sensor in the camera - bigger equals narrower depth of field

Focal length of the lens - longer equals narrower depth of field (dof)

Distance to the subject - closer is narrower dof

I used a camera with large-ish sensor and a very wide aperture, and the subject was close.

The problem is that most compact cameras and phones have very small sensors, which combined with moderate apertures and mid-range focal lengths results in such a wide depth of field that you don't see the out of focus effect.

If you arrange a shot so the subject is very close and the background is a long way back - you can see the effect with any camera and lens. Some mobile phones also an effect that artificially creates this effect.

But to do it easily - you need a lens with either a wide aperture (less than f2.0) or a long focal length (over around 80mm) combined with a camera with larger sensor.

A low cost, used DSLR with some wide aperture lenses would be a good start learning this process.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back