Objects slightly angled toward center of photo...

dcb83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've seen many pictures that have trees or buildings slightly tilted like at 80-85 degree angle toward the center of the photo. Objects on the right are slightly tilted to the left and objects on the left to the right. A fish eye lens wasn't used. I'de love to know how it's done.

I kinda got somewhere with the lens correction tool in ps playing around with the vertical perspective. I lose a little of the photo on top though...
Any thoughts...

Its called converging verticals and happens when you aim a lens upwards at a point higher than your position on a building or taller object, this is why its better to get up to the level of the object to shoot it, you can as you know correct in software pretty well. H

Exactly as flash harry has said, but you really need to use quite a wide angle lens to get the effect

The example here was shot at 10mm.

As the focal length increases the effect diminishes - at around 50mm you won't really see the effect at all

Exactly as flash harry has said, but you really need to use quite a wide angle lens to get the effect

The example here was shot at 10mm.

As the focal length increases the effect diminishes - at around 50mm you won't really see the effect at all

No, it happens with any lens to a certain degree, try it, the one you posted does not suffer converging verticals its simply because you used the WA in portrait mode, not a good idea unless you tend to do a central crop. I say again, converging verticals is caused by tilting the lens upwards, usually to include a tall object in the frame, this is one reason for a T/S lens or T/S panel in large format as correction with film in the darkroom is a pain in the butt, so, you get it right in camera. H

Most reactions

Back