OBLIGATED to Take Photos

Why are those subjects not interesting ? all depends how you shoot them, look for some unusual and interesting people for your portraits and shoot the landmarks from and unusual angle make them interesting
It wasnt really a matter of wether or not you can make them interesting. You're over thinking my statement. I never said it couldn't be interesting. I was merely saying sometimes we have to do things we wouldnt normally do and are not particularly excited about. What your saying is a different sentiment for a completely different thread.
Thats where we differ, i find all aspects of photography exciting and will shoot anything, i love a challenge
We're not really differing. I have no problem doing the shoot. That was kinda my point to the OP. no reason to whine about assignment. Just do it and do it to the best of your abilities.

I did 4-H, so I always had limits and rules. Some drove me batty because there wasn't really anything to explain what they wanted and the judges couldn't seem to agree either. :raisedeyebrow: I've always enjoyed the challenge of trying to do whatever was expected, but make it unique. To have any chance at winning, it not only had to be a technically perfect shot, it had to be one they weren't seeing a dozen of. The different categories forced me to try things I wouldn't have tried otherwise. I still shoot things just to see if I can because I'm used to looking for unique and challenging shots. It taught me to see the shot in a subject I didn't like to shoot.

I've never had certain restrictions set on my photography before, and I've never been forced (pretty much) to take photos. As a result, I don't feel like I'll be giving it my best since I'm not taking photos intuitively, I'm taking them to meet a rigid, and quite frankly, frustrating, criteria...

I used to think the real creativity kicked in when it was wide open - when I could do anything I wanted. Ultimately, I realized that when I was given parameters and limitations and STILL came up with a creative solution in spite of those contraints? That's when I really exercised my creativity and THAT'S when I came up with the coolest stuff.

I wouldn't necessarily just follow the directions straight forward and that's that if I were you. I'd ask myself, "How can I push the limits of this and STILL be within the constraints of the project?" It might mean you have to justify your choices and explain how your solution fits, but what's wrong with that? It'll push you creatively and keep you engaged, challenged and interested in what you're doing. At this level? The limitations are all in your head.

I've never had certain restrictions set on my photography before, and I've never been forced (pretty much) to take photos. As a result, I don't feel like I'll be giving it my best since I'm not taking photos intuitively, I'm taking them to meet a rigid, and quite frankly, frustrating, criteria...
Don't ever venture into commercial photography then.

I don't plan to sel out to 'the man.'

Turn on, tune in, drop out!!!!!

Why are those subjects not interesting ? all depends how you shoot them, look for some unusual and interesting people for your portraits and shoot the landmarks from and unusual angle make them interesting
It wasnt really a matter of wether or not you can make them interesting. You're over thinking my statement. I never said it couldn't be interesting. I was merely saying sometimes we have to do things we wouldnt normally do and are not particularly excited about. What your saying is a different sentiment for a completely different thread.

Thats where we differ, i find all aspects of photography exciting and will shoot anything, i love a challenge

And that's we differ. lol

My eyes just don't get "aroused" by some subjects, like cars (which seem to be a very popular subject on these forums). Regardless of a challenge, if the images I produce don't excite me then I see them as poor.

And that's we differ. lol

My eyes just don't get "aroused" by some subjects, like cars (which seem to be a very popular subject on these forums). Regardless of a challenge, if the images I produce don't excite me then I see them as poor.

So if it's a subject you don't like it sucks?

I took a photography class like that once... I stopped shooting for a year.

When it became a task, I lost all interest/passion. Photography is something I feel that many people are better off self-taught.

I took a photography class like that once... I stopped shooting for a year. When it became a task, I lost all interest/passion. Photography is something I feel that many people are better off self-taught.
I guess it all depends on where you come and with what expectations. I started photography with the intentions of a career. I enrolled in school before I knew squat about photography so I really went in expecting to shoot what I had to for both school and future clients. But I started drawing when I was 13, all for myself. And although I have sold a print or two, I've never really wanted to draw things I had no interest in so I've never madeAnything out of it really. I wanted to draw for myself. So even though I don't feel feel this way about photography per se, I do understand the feeling in general.

If you're in school to perfect your hobby (ie, stuff you do for yourself), then that's your choice. If you're in school to learn a trade/craft/skill which you will use to earn a living, then you learn to do whatever has to get done. Of course, you may decide that you accept only certain kinds of clients and only certain kinds of assignments, but that is a priviledge one has when one is well-established and earning money is no longer an issue.

As for your having high standards, nothing wrong with that. But don't mistake your views/opinions as being representative of others. You may, in fact, be producing excellent work, even if you're not excited about it. In the commercial field, it is useful to step ourside "yourself" and try to see things somewhat more dispassionately. As has already been noted by others, if you are hired by someone, you are there to professionally execute their vision to the best of your ability. Do it well, and you'll have lots of time to pursue your real love or interest.

Most reactions

Back