obviously.... i am not cool...because

It could have been a lot worse.
At least we didn't go for the tacky 'beginner/amateur/professional' labels.
Maybe we should change it to a Circus theme: 'clown/juggler/trapeze artist/ringmaster'.
Or perhaps: 'has a life/needs a life/get a life/don't you ever go out?'

It could have been a lot worse.
At least we didn't go for the tacky 'beginner/amateur/professional' labels.
Maybe we should change it to a Circus theme: 'clown/juggler/trapeze artist/ringmaster'.
Or perhaps: 'has a life/needs a life/get a life/don't you ever go out?'

Harsh Hertz but ultimately very true!

Hi again to you too Corry :hug::

It looks as though I'll be back around here, I've finally got my life a bit more sorted out and seem to have been bitten by the photography bug all over again :)

If that is sarcasm, well done! :hail:

It's not, is it. Oh, dear me.
I quote this post, but the response goes along with the next after post as well.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob

The term noob was derived from the gaming generation and the young generation on the internet in general. So, yes, the gaming world does hold the status of the world, because that is where the term comes from. That is what the term means, as I have stated in my post above.

Like I said, there is a big difference between "noob" and "newbie". They are not the same. "Noob" is a derogative label placed on individuals on the internet.

I'm not taking offense over anything. I just wanted to clear things up as this communitiy obviously does not understand the difference between "noob" and "newbie". I'm just explaining a little bit about the word and how someone could come here and take offense over being called a "noob".

Example:

I sim race on the computer, nearly every night. I have been doing it for over 10 years and I take the sim racing quite seriously. I've raced in several leagues as well as simple pickup and race games on public servers. Someone who would just come on the server for the first time trying would crash quite a lot. He would spin out the car, crash into barriers, and probably crash others. What can you expect, he is new. As a veteran sim racer, I can recognize that and quit my race to help out the "newbie". I watch him drive, explain how the handling goes with the weird feeling of sim racing on a computer, help him with braking points and car setup, etc. He is a "newbie", someone who is new to sim racing.

An hour later, "Joe" enters the server. We have commands that we can see how long an individual racer has been racing or how many laps or miles experience he has. "Joe" I see has been racing for well over 20,000 laps. In turn 1 at the start of the race, he completely obliviates the entire racing field by driving straight through the turn without attempting to brake. He catches up to a car later and make no attempt to pass. Instead tried to drive through the car in his way and crashes him out to get by. After several attempts to let "Joe" understand the rules of the server and how to actually race with other real people, he yells in chat, "STFU!!!!11ONEEE!!11 I RULZERSS THIS TRAcK!!!oone!!!111"

Joe is a noob.

That is the difference between "noob" and "newbie". Hope that is understandable.

:biglaugh:

Noob status is pretty short-lived around here, shootLib. :) All it takes is continued posting and, before long, you've attained "TPF junkie" status and ultimately (and the more appropriate) the "I have no life" status, which we have kindly not turned into an auto-title. :mrgreen:

Can I request my life be revoked, I don't wanna be a junkie no more and I lack the commitment to go threw rehab. :mrgreen:

Noob sounds too much like "boob" ... :mrgreen:

Newbie sounds like a nicer term, and is kind of cute. I guess until I read this thread I didn't pay too much attention to anyone's "status" and what they were being called. I wouldn't say any of the names are offending, especially after you have been here for a while and you know the nice people running the place. I don't think they would intentionally label anyone with intent to hurt their feelings or in a durogatory way.

With that said ... just have fun and post a lot. You will continually be moved up on the food chain :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back