Ocotillo

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the kind of shot I enjoy taking. An ocotillo cactus in full bloom, in the transition zone between the Mojave and Colorado deserts, in the shadow of a rain storm, with full sun beyond the mountains. It's like I don't care how the shot comes out, I just like being there.

400-ocotillo-2384.jpg

I love it. Just looking at it made me think of that "it's just about to rain" smell that you get in the desert; kind of like a clean dirt (what?) and clear water smell with a hint of vegetation, that you can almost *taste*.

(I can't describe it any better than that)

I love it. Just looking at it made me think of that "it's just about to rain" smell that you get in the desert; kind of like a clean dirt (what?) and clear water smell with a hint of vegetation, that you can almost *taste*.

I think we'd have to be there ;)

I just came back from trip out there; two of the days it rained- I know exactly what you mean (Yep, you gotta be there). The smell though is cresote bush. It reminds me of a combination of vanilla, the scorched earth and clean, all at once. Creosote is also called the rain bush. Next time you're up here, stop at a creosote and rub the leaves in your hands, cup the leaves and smell. That's the smell.

Most reactions

Back