Odd jobs to make a little cash?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anybody know of any good odd-jobs that don't require much commitment and just make a little cash (photography-related)? I have a lot going on, between college, work, and the auto racing photography that takes time. I'd like a few filler odd jobs for the few times I am not busy... ideas?

I was thinking of that same idea you got there,,,good topic I say...
Well I was thinking of taking pics of pre-schoolers you know and sell them to the parents something like a photo day kinda thing.
I am sure there must be some kinda way???

There are probably plenty of ways...but remember that there are probably a ton of other photographers who want to shoot the same things but don't consider them odd jobs.

To some, shooting a wedding here or there is an odd job. To others, it's their only source of income. To some, shooting portrait (family, kids, head shots) could be an odd job...to others, it might be all they do.

It might be advantageous to use the client base that you already have. There are a lot of people involved in auto racing...those people have families and kids etc...they might want portraits taken etc.

true.

Having my Sigma 10-20, I have been thinking how nice it would be for Realtors in the area to have some better indoor shots. Most of the realtors around here don't have very good photos on their websites. I wonder if any real estate agents could use this type of thing.

Keith - my brother-in-law makes his entire living shooting real estate. It's a regional thing (he's in Fort Meyers, FL and also works in the Ottawa area when he goes home to visit), and he says the slowdown is actually making him very, very busy these days. He functions with 2 lenses which he attaches to a little Nikon point-and-shoot: a cheap superwide adapter and a bizarre, not-so-cheap parabolic reflector for 360 degree virtual walkthroughs.

And he told me he started the old fashioned way: he just called a realtor!

Good luck.

Also: what motorsports do you shoot?

Keith - my brother-in-law makes his entire living shooting real estate. It's a regional thing (he's in Fort Meyers, FL and also works in the Ottawa area when he goes home to visit), and he says the slowdown is actually making him very, very busy these days. He functions with 2 lenses which he attaches to a little Nikon point-and-shoot: a cheap superwide adapter and a bizarre, not-so-cheap parabolic reflector for 360 degree virtual walkthroughs.

And he told me he started the old fashioned way: he just called a realtor!

Good luck.

Also: what motorsports do you shoot?

Neat, it sounds like I might have a hope!

Motorsports I shoot: Just dirt track auto racing...you know, Bombers, Hornets, Factory Stocks, B-Mods, A-Mods, and Late Models... occasionally a Sprint series or Midget series as they come into town. I do one racetrack...more have wanted me to come, but it's more work than just taking pictures, since we run the booth and manage all sales and stuff...it's a more lucrative job than some would think.

Ive thought about real estate photography also. I know that the reason my dad bought me the 10-20mm is so i can take pictures of the pools he has built for his portfolio

I live in a very rural area, most photographers around here want to specialize therefore ruling out odd-jobs. That's where I come in. I try not to say no to anything. Local daycares do fall and spring pictures here, its 1 day not a lot of commitment, and parents of small children find it hard to say no to a good pic.

Also, if you're wanting to take more pictures, but commit less time, I've heard of a lot of photographers simply giving their client a disc with the pictures so they don't have to waste time proofing and placing orders. I've done this myself a few times and customers love it. Charge a little extra for your session because you're not going to make money off an order and just hand over the disc.

Computer repair is a good one also. There are a lot of people out there with children and virus-infested computers.

I knew a guy once that had a decent printer and laptop and a fairly nice digital camera and went to one of these piers at the beach, got permission and set up a table there. and he was charging $15 dollars for an 8x10 taking pictures of couples with the ocean and beach in the background and then printing the pictures right there. He made a few hundred a day doing that. just a thought... never tried it myself.

I knew a guy once that had a decent printer and laptop and a fairly nice digital camera and went to one of these piers at the beach, got permission and set up a table there. and he was charging $15 dollars for an 8x10 taking pictures of couples with the ocean and beach in the background and then printing the pictures right there. He made a few hundred a day doing that. just a thought... never tried it myself.

I heard of one guy doing all the gay nightclubs, offering photos of couples in intimate position to send to their friends. He made a killing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back