Odd size?

M @ k o

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had to print a 12x18 instead of a 11x14 photo to get everything in without cropping from mpix, wish they had a fit to size option. Will this be a prob finding a frame for? Or will my customer have to get a custom frame made? alittle worried :meh:

Thx for any info.

Thx summers. No mpix doesn't have the 11x16, which sucks. Would also be nice if they had the fit to size like my Epson R220. They do great prints tho.

The aspect ratio from 35mm and most DSLRs is 2:3. This means full frame prints are 4x6, 5x7.5, 6x9, 8x12, 10x15, 12x18, 16x24, etc... You shouldn't have any problem finding frames for these sizes as 35mm has been around for a while now. ;)

5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, and 20x24 are all close to 4:5 aspect ratio. Some digital cameras shoot photos with this aspect ratio, but mainly it's from medium format and large format film.

To get custom sized prints just increase the canvas size of the file to whatever you need. For instance you can size your 2:3 aspect ratio photo to 9.33"x14", and put it on an 11"x14" canvas.

Or you could mat the print so it would fit in a different aspect ratio frame.

M @ k o said:
I had to print a 12x18 instead of a 11x14 photo to get everything in without cropping from mpix, wish they had a fit to size option. Will this be a prob finding a frame for? Or will my customer have to get a custom frame made? alittle worried :meh:

Thx for any info.

If you fit to size without cropping then you'll be distorting the image.

Like ksmattfish says it's easier to get a frame first then add a matt to the image and adjust the matt to suit the frame - that's normally the way i do it if someone asks for a print.

Thx darich ! And Ksmattfish, your the boom man, glad we have someone like you in here, always top notch info. Thx !

When in doubt, cut a mat. You can then handle any size print and have it look well in a 'standard' size frame. I tend to print at 6 x 9 inches and mat to readily available 11 x 14 frames. Matting is also an easy answer when composing full frame with 6 x 6 cm.

And yes, the integral of cabin/d cabin is log cabin.

Torus34 said:
When in doubt, cut a mat. You can then handle any size print and have it look well in a 'standard' size frame.

Besides, I think matted prints almost always look better than unmatted prints. A really nice 8x12 photo will look okay in an 8x12 frame, but mat it and put it in a bigger frame, and it'll look awesome.

11x14 and 5x7 are weird. If they were 4:5 they would be 11x13.75 and 5x6.25.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back