Of cables and flashes

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I'm not going for wireless setups, mostly as I am keeping weight, price and bulkyness down for my macro setup (cost is a big one!). So looking to connect a simple slave flash to my master flash - speedlite 580EX2 - however the canon website is being rather devoide of flash setup advice (heck its pretty much empty of any flash info) and the cables are getting me confused.

So can anyone advise - does the speedlite 580EX2 have a connection point for a cable to connect to an off camera hotshoe to triggor another flash? If so what cable am I in need or.

Failing that option its a little more simple just using a hotshoe with cable hole in the camera - allowing a cable for the slave and a shoe for hte main flash

What are you using as a slave flash? The 580 EXII can be used to trigger other canon flashes through IR. If you are using something like a 430 EX or EXII, you can use the 580 as a master on your camera and trigger them remotely.

Im using a Sunpak PF20XD - so no infra red feature sadly (but its far lighter than the 430 - cheaper too as a bonus).
It has manual controls and limited features, so its not much more than a triggor for it that I am after

Hmm. I don't know if you can do that via a cable. I have never tried. For about $60, you can pick up the Cactus V4 wireless set with 2 receivers and be done. Mpex.com carries them. Some hot shoue cords will run you that much themselves.

Sadly those triggors appear rather tricky to find in the UK - even ebay dosn't have any distributers that I can find. And shipping tends to add to costs (and its an added pain if you have to deal with duties and tax upon arrival as well)

Most reactions

Back