Off-Brand Batteries

LuckySo-n-So

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Of course we know that the camera manufacturer's batteries are usually very reliable (Nikon, Canon), but extremely overpriced.

When I purchased the D40, I bought two off brand batteries for about 10-15 bucks (for both). They have performed flawlessly--last much longer than the Nikon battery for 1/4 the price of a Nikon battery.

When I purchased the D90, I did the same thing. I bought two off-brand batteries for under $20. I also got a 3rd party grip.

If I put the Nikon and a 3rd party battery in the grip (at "full charge") the grip only recognizes the Nikon battery. I primarily used the 3rd party batteries in the grip since then. I've only thad the D90 for about 3 or 4 weeks, and the last time I charged the Nikon Battery, was well over a week ago. Well, the 3rd party batteries are essentially dead---they won't take a charge. I removed the grip, and checked each battery individually in the camera, and had the same results--less than 10% charge on a "fully charged" battery.

I popped the Nikon battery in--which has been sitting in my bag for well over a week--and it still had a 100% charge.

I haven't used my D40 in two weeks, but both off brand batteries are still at 90%+ charge.

Not a big deal, I mean it's only a sawbuck, so I'm just gonna toss em and forget em, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I guess off brand batteries are just hit and miss.

Any good off brand batteries anyone can suggest? My dead ones are "Premium Tech."

My off brand holds a charge forever - no problems here. I'm subscribing to remind me to go check the brand and report back later.

Off brands... you take a chance. Some work 100%, others work 80%. On my D200 I bought 2 off-brand En-EL3s and they last as long as the OEMs, but they do not properly report their true power output to the camera, so I see 100% until the camera dies. Then I swap batteries and am off agian.

With my D700, I bought an aftermarket EN-EL4a and it just brutally outperforms the OEM (I got 3500 RAW files from ONE charge over 2 weeks time!), and costs $50US plus shipping from China... absolutely incredible.

You toss your dice and take your chances.

I use the phottix brand from ebay. I have 4 of them and they work exactly like the original Canon battery. In fact, I jusst bought their battery grip and cannot tell a difference between it and the original Canon brand I borrowed.

Will it hurt to mix the aftermarket with the Canon in the grip ? I didn't think about it but the Canon is 720 mAH while the aftermarket is 1700 mAH .

Batteries are batteries. The off brands often sacrafice long life for short term charge level, but nothing bad comes off this.

If there's a problem with the battiers in the grip then it is part of the digital communcation between the battery and the grip. The fact that it doesn't work in the grip but does work in the camera means that the batteries don't report the same way the Nikons do (no surprise), but it also means that the camera is error tollerant, but the grip is not (BIG SURPRISE I would have expected it the other way around).

Just saying that aftermarket batteries aren't a hit and miss here for 99% of the forum who don't use that aftermarket grip.

ruaslacker2: No it won't. I share my Nikon with an aftermarket and have for about 2 years now.

I just checked - the one I have is a Lenmar and it's been great and lasts just as long as the one that came with the camera.

I have a pair of Hong Kong specials that came with my third party grip, and they seem to last forever!!! I usually end up charging them just to be sure. They dont report properly though as they always show 100%

Most reactions

New Topics

Back