Off camera flash portrait...

Holly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need help understanting the flash bit.. I used this last night and today and got some dark images.. Thinking the flash would help brighten up my pictures.. It really didnt help much at all.. When I view the pictures IN my camera they look ok, but when downloading them to the PC and opening them they are a bit dark...

Before Post Processing

jr11a.jpg

After Post Processing.. I had to adjust curves and play with the levels. Levels I didnt do to much to though.. FOR me its a little to contrasted...

jr11.jpg

Thanks!

Yes, it looks like you boosted it too much...now it looks over flashed.

Also, how are you using the flash off camera? What are you doing to get the exposure etc.

It looks like the flash wasn't very far off of the camera...the highlights are just off of centre and the only shadow on his face is way off to the side of his face.

Also, the light looks very hard or harsh...I can tell by the hard edges on the shadows. Try softening the light...that will really help.

well its a speedlight SB 800.. Its ON the camera.. but I thought they are called off camera flashses...

Oh I see.

I would call that an accessory or hot-shoe flash...not really an off-camera flash.
It certainly is better than the built-in flash...but the light is still coming from the same angle as the camera...which means you get flat 'deer in the head lights' kind of lighting.

The SB800 can tilt and swivel can't it? Try bouncing the light...off of the ceiling, off of a wall (to the side or even behind you). You can even bounce it off some one standing close (hopefully wearing a white shirt).

The idea is to capture you subject being lit with light that is coming from a different direction. This creates modeling. Just the last night, my photo instructor said it quite well.
A baseball lit from the front (on camera flash) is just a white disc...but if you light it from the side...it becomes a sphere. It's the same with faces.

Big Mike said:
Oh I see.

The SB800 can tilt and swivel can't it? Try bouncing the light...off of the ceiling, off of a wall (to the side or even behind you). You can even bounce it off some one standing close (hopefully wearing a white shirt).

especially behind you try putting the flash up a couple of stops and turn it around and slightly up you will probably get a more well rounded look. Better yet what body do you have can you use it truly off camera? off to the side will give a great effect and take away the "deer in the headlights" look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back