off camera flash trigger

Trbo323

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so, got a new flash for my a-55, the HVL-F58AM. while it has wireless capabilities the only way to trigger it off camera right now is with the pop up flash, id like to skip the pop up flash step but also keep it wireless so im looking around for a wireless transceiver setup. i hear some recomendations for pocketwizard and i like a lot of the features on them but the issue is sony uses their own hotshoe and im not sure that the pocketwizards will work with that in mind. iv seen some adaptors to turn the sony shoe into a standard shoe but im thinking for that to work with the pocketwizard products im going to need one everythere there is a connection between anything like a flash and a receiver

so im wondering what are my options? are there better products than the pocket wizards? i dont know much on the subject but i would like to be able to control my lighting from my camera and still have it be wireless, thats my goal here

I think your going to find this a lot that many companies don't provide things like pocketwizards, radio poppers stuff like that for Pentax and Sony.

As I've found doing my own research there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well for most people than PWs...

Try googling Sony Wirless Flash Triggers.

You could always do the flash shoe adapter for the camera / transmitter. Then instead of using Sony flashes use another brand. When doing wireless triggers, there is no stipulation you have to use your system flash! Can use Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Vivitar, bunches of flashes out there made for normal shoe connections. Keep your Sony flash for on body work. Use just about any other brand for your wireless work. I know very little about Sony equipment. But I am guessing they do not have a secondarly wire connection for firing. As many wireless recievers also have wire connections not just the shoe portion (how you fire monolights with them).

Now if you did this. You would have to set each flash individually. But if your doing work where everything is set. You will not need to be changing the lighting very much, once you have it dialed in.

Last edited:
yes but i want to be able to change the lighting, thats part of this. i also want to remain wireless so i can shoot from across a room so anything that is non-adjustment is out and anything that is wired is out. beyond that ill go look around for some sony wireless flash triggers but even if i am running a hotshoe adaptor on everything it wouldnt be the end of the world, some of those are not going to break the bank, of course sony wants me to use the one they sell for $100

ok so i got to looking at the alienbees cybersync setup today and am liking it more than the PW setup, cheaper, better display and it seems to be able to do everything i am looking for.

any opinions on that?

ok so i got to looking at the alienbees cybersync setup today and am liking it more than the PW setup, cheaper, better display and it seems to be able to do everything i am looking for.

any opinions on that?

I understood from your earlier post that you wanted to remain wireless, but alos to be able to adjust your flash settings as you went. Not going to acheive that with an AB set-up; the only option for that is manufacturer's flash.

Edited to add: Or did you mean AB strobes w/ cyber-sync triggers?

no i simply have my a55 with the pop up flash and a sony HLV-58AM which is a mounted or wireless flash, however the only way to use it wireless right now is to also be using the pop up flash with line of site to trigger it and i can not go any faster than 1/250 on my shutter. iv been doing some portraits lately and have been wanting to use the 58 as a wireless flash to give some hard directional light. the issue is with the pop up flash i am blowing out my models face at the same time and loosing detail not to mention the look i want since i have light coming from two directions instead of one

so i have been reading up on the alienbees cybersych and im thinking now that it will not allow me to adjust my flash from my camera. while it will still remotely trigger my flash it kind of looks like the adjustments are only available while using alienbees strobes with the transceiver/receiver units

is there any way of remaining wireless and being able to adjust the manufacturers flash from my camera position?

Get a flash meter and cheap trigger if the fash is metered properly you wont need to alter it just alter your shutter speed on camera

ya i was hoping to avoid that, sometimes it wont be a issue but other times messing with the shutter is going to lighten or darken my background

thanks for the help

Most reactions

New Topics

Back