Off Camera Flash

captmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am using a Nikon SB-700 and would like to get a consensus as to what route to go when conducting off camera TTL with 2 flash units. When I say TTL, the objective is to be able to control the power output of each of the flashes independently (different groups) and remotely from the trigger on the camera. And of course I want to keep the cost down as low as possible.

1. Would I want to invest in another SB-700 and use a couple of PW TT5's?

2. Would I want to invest in 2 less expensive YN-565EX or YN-568EX flash units and use the SB-700 as the trigger or get the YN-622C flash trigger?

Although Joe McNally has made a small fortune with shooting and instructing the value of TTL, IMO, manual is more consistent.

I would think the D7000 has Commander Mode options, check your manual. With that, all you need is another 3rd party flash that has an optical slave. The pre-flash from the built-in flash triggers the OCF. Until you decide to go further into flash photography or more demanding situations, this setup will work nicely. There are less expensive options to PW's too.

The advantage to Nikon's CLS system is that you can control flash output from the camera's menu. The disadvantage is that relying on the cameras brain does not necessarily equate to your vision.

Will you be shooting indoors or outdoors? Nikon CLS as a flash trigger is quite effective indoors.

The other great thing about Nikon CLS is that you can get manual flash control from your camera - you can control the flash power fully manually but without having to go to each flash to tweak it.

Will you be shooting indoors or outdoors? Nikon CLS as a flash trigger is quite effective indoors.

The other great thing about Nikon CLS is that you can get manual flash control from your camera - you can control the flash power fully manually but without having to go to each flash to tweak it.

Hi

Indoors, but I do not want to use Nikon's IR system/pop up flash as the trigger.

Hi

Indoors, but I do not want to use Nikon's IR system/pop up flash as the trigger.

Why not?

How about split the difference? A couple of YN-5xx speedlights and three PW Plus X... I agree 100% with Kundalini; manual flash is much easier to work with and much more consistant.

Although Joe McNally has made a small fortune with shooting and instructing the value of TTL, IMO, manual is more consistent.

I would think the D7000 has Commander Mode options, check your manual. With that, all you need is another 3rd party flash that has an optical slave. The pre-flash from the built-in flash triggers the OCF. Until you decide to go further into flash photography or more demanding situations, this setup will work nicely. There are less expensive options to PW's too.

The advantage to Nikon's CLS system is that you can control flash output from the camera's menu. The disadvantage is that relying on the cameras brain does not necessarily equate to your vision.

Perhaps it is the language used. What I want to do is "Manual". but control the output of those off cameras flashes remotely from the trigger. In other words, I do not want to walk over to each flash and adjust the power output of each one. I think the only way you and do Manual off camera flash AND manually control the power output "remotely" is from a TTL trigger.

I do not want to use the D7000 and it's pop up flash in the commander mode as it is not 100% reliable.

How about split the difference? A couple of YN-5xx speedlights and three PW Plus X... I agree 100% with Kundalini; manual flash is much easier to work with and much more consistant.

I do not want to walk over to each off camera flash each time to adjust it's power output.

Hi

Why not?

Because it has proven not to be 100% constant in firing the remote flashes.

I do not want to walk over to each off camera flash each time to adjust it's power output.
Save your money on PWs and get yourself a hand-held light meter and be done with it. There are no shortcuts. Being able to adjust from the camera doesn't mean you get the desired flash output. Then you're talking about trial and error. Which do you think will save time?

Save your money on PWs and get yourself a hand-held light meter and be done with it. There are no shortcuts. Being able to adjust from the camera doesn't mean you get the desired flash output. Then you're talking about trial and error. Which do you think will save time?

LOL....

Still does not solve the questions asked though.

If you want TTL over radio, you're going to pay handsomely for it. IMO, it's not worth it if you're not getting paid for your shots. Are you?

If you want TTL over radio, you're going to pay handsomely for it. IMO, it's not worth it if you're not getting paid for your shots. Are you?

yes

And the question come back to what the TTL options are

Nikon
PW
YN

and ?????

yes
Certanly hope that "quick learner" is part of your skill set.

And the question come back to what the TTL options are......
2. Would I want to invest in 2 less expensive YN-565EX or YN-568EX flash units and use the SB-700 as the trigger?

If you want to keep the cost low, you wouldn't be thinking about radio triggers. Your camera should enable you to set the power of multiple groups from the camera itself in manual or TTL and trigger with the pop-up. It's a nice system. Does what you're doing demand spending $520 on radio triggers just so you can save a few seconds dialing in some power to flashes five feet away? When have you seen the pop-up not work in your own experience? For less than that you could get a commander or third flash. I don't get why people bother with cheap radios. I've seen Gary Fong use cheap radios within five feet of his flash. What's the point? He could just turn the sensor toward the camera and use the pop-up. IR is good for at least 75 feet on a bright sunny day. It's good through diffusers. As long as you have a triangle of light, you can use CLS. If you're serious about radios, don't bother with cheap brands. Get the PW. They're great, but they're expensive.

Most reactions

Back