Off camera lighting for outdoor portraiture - will this work?

dMau1986

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to play around with some off camera lighting for (mostly outdoor) portraiture. I am not looking for anything crazy (read: expensive). Would the following be sufficient, or am I in completely wrong direction?

I am looking at an entry-level Metz speed light flash and I would pair it up with a wireless trigger.

Would this work for outdoor portraiture and perhaps single light source indoor portraiture?

Metz mecablitz 36AF-4C AF E-TTL Flash for Canon EOS MZ 36341 -

Looks like it would work....and it's under $100 in price.

Looks like it would work....and it's under $100 in price.

A couple concerns I have:
-Would this be powerful enough?
-Would I need some sort of softbox/reflector (by itself would it be too harsh?)
-I heard mention that you can only control the power through the camera's settings. So if I use a wireless transmitter, does this mean I am then unable to adjust the output? Can anyone verify/explain this too me?

It will depend which wireless triggers you get.

In general, both the camera and the speedlight will need to be in manual mode for OCF.

You don't mention what camera model.

Any light modiifiers will eat some of the light it puts out, but the light will be softer, and I didn't think it had very much power at a GN rating of only - Guide No. 98'/30 m at 50mm. GN numbers are generally tagged to ISO (ISO 100) not focal length.

Last edited:
It will depend which wireless triggers you get.

In general, both the camera and the speedlight will need to be in manual mode for OCF.

You don't mention what camera model.

Any light modiifiers will eat some of the light it puts out, but the light will be softer, and I didn't think it had very much power at a GN rating of only - Guide No. 98'/30 m at 50mm. GN numbers are generally tagged to ISO (ISO 100) not focal length.

I realize it won't be anything fantastic, given its very inexpensive cost. I am simply looking for something to play around with and enhance portraiture a bit. Do you think this would get me by for a while?

Body is a 40D.

Can anyone check the link/specs on the this model to help verify if the output is manually adjustable when using off camera? I am not sure what I would be looking for.

Can anyone check the link/specs on the this model to help verify if the output is manually adjustable when using off camera? I am not sure what I would be looking for.
From the B&H link you provided, click on "Specifications" :

Type Shoe mount Guide No. 98' (30 m) at 50mm
118' (36 m) at 85mm
Angle of Coverage 75 to 28° (28-85mm in 35mm format)
Auto f/Stops No, full TTL at all apertures
Manual Power Setting No
TTL Dedication Yes,
E-TTL II Bounce Head Yes
Swivel Head No Zoom Head 28-85mm (manually adjusted)
Off Camera Terminal No
Recycle Time 5 Seconds (based on fresh batteries & full power)
5 Seconds with alkalines
No Lithium Batteries Power Source Four 1.5-Volt "AA" batteries (alkaline, NiMh & NiCd)
(Lithium Batteries Cannot Be Used) Dimensions 2.8 x 4.3 x 3.4" (73 x 110 x 87mm) WxHxD Weight 7.2 oz (205 g)

From the B&H link you provided, click on "Specifications" :

Type Shoe mount Guide No. 98' (30 m) at 50mm
118' (36 m) at 85mm
Angle of Coverage 75 to 28° (28-85mm in 35mm format)
Auto f/Stops No, full TTL at all apertures
Manual Power Setting No
TTL Dedication Yes,
E-TTL II Bounce Head Yes
Swivel Head No Zoom Head 28-85mm (manually adjusted)
Off Camera Terminal No
Recycle Time 5 Seconds (based on fresh batteries & full power)
5 Seconds with alkalines
No Lithium Batteries Power Source Four 1.5-Volt "AA" batteries (alkaline, NiMh & NiCd)
(Lithium Batteries Cannot Be Used) Dimensions 2.8 x 4.3 x 3.4" (73 x 110 x 87mm) WxHxD Weight 7.2 oz (205 g)

Oops, thanks :blushing: I had been looking at the manufacturers site and could not locate that detail.

Would this be an issue for using this flash for off camera lighting then?

It'll be at full power off camera, so adjustable by aperture, distance or diffusion, take your pick, Metz have been top level Flash producers forever. H

Would this be an issue for using this flash for off camera lighting then?
It's still doable, it would just be less versatile.

To control the exposure from the flash, you can adjust the aperture, the ISO, the flash power or the distance from flash to subject. So if the flash doesn't have manual control, and always fires at one power level (full), you can still adjust the exposure with those other variables.

One issue is that with full power flashes, your recycle times will be slower and you'll use up batteries faster than if you could use a lower power setting.

You may also have trouble using larger apertures, if you wanted a shallow DOF for example.

Have a look at THIS flash. It was designed for off-camera type work.

If there is no manual power control then id say get something else,

i am using vivitars 285hv and they work really good outdoor for fill flash,
they are about 100$ Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 - B&H Photo Video

with a gn of 120, its enought power for fill light using a umbrella or a small softbox, or even overpower the sun around 6-9pm (i did it a couple times but with 2 unit)

Last edited:
i'd suggest either a vivitar (they're great but i only have one because of the crazy shipment costs) or a yongnuo flash (i have it and it's awesome) and of course cheap, full automatic controls and costs like 70$

and i don't agree that these flashes are "something to fool around until you get something better", i actually think these flashes will be of use for a long time, at least for me, they're awesome, cheap, reliable and pretty strong.

i'd suggest either a vivitar (they're great but i only have one because of the crazy shipment costs) or a yongnuo flash (i have it and it's awesome) and of course cheap, full automatic controls and costs like 70$

and i don't agree that these flashes are "something to fool around until you get something better", i actually think these flashes will be of use for a long time, at least for me, they're awesome, cheap, reliable and pretty strong.

Shortly after creating this thread, I stumbled upon the yongnuo flashes. I am now anxiously awaiting my delivery of two yn460 II's and wireless triggers. I also ordered a cheap light stand + umbrella + clamp. All for a little over $150. Very impressed with the flickr results I have seen and will be a perfect place to start for OCL for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back