SnowNow12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jemeryphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,
I have a question about off-camera lighting. I have read countless threads and all I seem to be doing is confusing myself more.
My equipment: Canon 30D, 580 EXII and 430 EX
My goal: off-camera lighting for small portrait set up that I can also take out and shoot action photos with flashes in random spots (don't have to see each other)
questions: 1)If I want to shoot in both manual and Ettl mode, do I need to buy a pocket wizard? 2)If so, do I need to buy 1 tranceiver and two receivers? 3) Is there any other option than the pocket wizard? Those things are sooo expensive!
Thanks!

Pocket Wizards do not support any TTL functions. They must be used in full manual. If you decide to go that route, you'll need a transceiver for the camera, and one for each flash.

There is a product that will transmit ttl data through radio waves.

Radio Popper

Cheaper than PWs. There are reviews all over the internet.

The thing with the radio poppers is that you'll have to have another shoe mounted flash to use the poppers. They dont work with the on camera flash.

You don't need a hotshoe flash if you have an SU-800 or ST-E2. This route will cost you more than 3 pocket wizards, but you'll have the added benefit of E-TTL and high speed sync. If you plan on sticking with small flashes, this is neat feature. If you plan to use monolights or a pack/head system, the investment in pocket wizards is warrented.

Most reactions

Back