Off Camera Speedlights

pumpercaptain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone... still learning a lot about flash photography... with that said, work with me here! Ha.

I have a D-7000, two SB-800's (considering a 3rd), and an older SB*25. I have acquired some Paul Buff radio triggers... is there any way to incorporate the radio triggers with the SB25 and still use the Nikon wireless light system which includes the pop up flash to fire the 800's? If I try and mount the transmitter on the camera, it won' t allow the flash to pop up. I would use the radio trigger for the SB25 only, for say just a highlight flash or something... Or, would it be better to buy another 800 from ebay and have all 3 flashes working under the wireless system?

I realize I can put all three flashes into manual and use the radio triggers that way, but I would like to be able to use the wireless system with the 800's and still be able to fire the 25 with the radio trigger.

Am I asking too much? Ha.

Thanks for any info

PC

I realize I can put all three flashes into manual and use the radio triggers that way, but I would like to be able to use the wireless system with the 800's and still be able to fire the 25 with the radio trigger.

I don't think the CLS will work in conjunction with a flash on manual "optical slave" flash. The reason is that the CLS sends out a series of short preliminary bursts to "measure" the light returning, and in so doing, will trigger the manual slave that is looking for a flash to fire on. So what you will get is the manual one will appear to not have flashed, when in fact it has flashed before the shutter was open.

If you set all of them to manual, then they will all fire when the trigger tells them to.

I've found that the cheap optical triggers tend not to be sensitive enough to trigger on the pre-flashes, but if they are, just flag them so they can't see it and let them fire off of the main pulse.

Most reactions

Back