Off-camera speedlite?

kiso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I am planning on buying my first speedlite and I would like to be able to use it off-camera too. Do I use a pocket wizard for that? Or do I buy a special off-camera speedlite? The one I'm buying attaches to the hot shoe.

What brand camera are you using? Budget? Do you need i-TTL capabilities or does fully manual work for you?

Hi, I am planning on buying my first speedlite and I would like to be able to use it off-camera too. Do I use a pocket wizard for that? Or do I buy a special off-camera speedlite? The one I'm buying attaches to the hot shoe.

Do I use a pocket wizard for that?
You could use a set (need two) pocket wizard radio triggers. They are just one brand, although they are pretty much the industry standard. They aren't cheap though. They make different models. Some for basic manual flash triggering, some for TTL (auto flash metering).

Or do I buy a special off-camera speedlite?
Practically any flash unit that can be used on-camera, can also be used off camera. The thing to be aware of...is IF you want to set up a TTL system, then you need a flash that will be compatible with whatever master/slave system you have/get. For example, if you own a Nikon DSLR or a newer Canon DSLR (with a flash), then the camera's flash will likely be able to control/fire a remote flash that is compatible.

One of the first things to decide (besides your budget) is whether or not you need to go with TTL (auto flash metering) or if you could use a flash in manual mode. I think that most people who have experience with this type of thing, prefer the manual route...but there is a learning curve.

The TTL route can be easier in some ways...but it's not always consistent and likely requires a larger investment.

This is the usual referral to someone in your position. Strobist: Lighting 101

How far off the camera? If only a few feet, you can fire the flash using a cable (brand compatible), or a radio trigger system (PW or cheaper brand) or even optically, depending on your overall lighting setup.

Since most speedlights do have a hotshoe attachment, you should make sure that it will work with your camera (again brand compatible).

Fill us in on what camera you have, and your proposed budget, and you will get many good answers.

Yongnuo makes cheap flashes that gets great reviews and they have radio triggers and receivers. That's all depends on your budget.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back