Official Release of Presidential Portrait

It wasn't available light. Look at the catch lights in his eyes. It looks like they used either a shoot-through umbrella or Octagon shaped softbox at approx 45 degree angle on his right side for the main light and either a standard softbox or rectangle shaped reflector to his hard left for a fill.

The reason for the extra space above his head is because this is (Im assuming) un-cropped ... if you crop the image down with a 1:1.25 ratio you will see that the photographer allowed exactly enough room for the photo to be nicely reproduced as an 8x10.

However, I also don't like the pin on his jacket. It should have been simplified out of the shot. Also in my opinion his exposure is off by about 1/3 of a stop .. +1/3 would have given it a pop so that the image didn't look so flat at the same time it wouldnt have a negative effect on skin tone. The white balance is also off .. not by much just a hair .. but technically it is off. That might be a little picky but considering we are talking about the official white house photographer I think there should be a little more perfectionism in place.

A lot of my thoughts of the image have already been stated. The one thing that made me go "Whoa" was after downloading the photo and looking at his eyes at 100%. (apparently skieur didn't) ...

I think the portrait is meh at best. It's not a flattering image IMO.

Let us not critically analyze a web image. Souza was chosen for a reason. If anyone has doubts about this image send your book to Washington if you already haven't. I'm sure they are interested in a second shooter.

Love & Bass

I would have done it for $50.

Absolutely stunning work. Powerful and proud. I have to agree with the 100's of articles already posted; the eyes have it. Souza and Obama have some ground breaking work ahead of them. The media and specifically photography will be a strong part of our new presidents platform. Very proud of both men. The best is yet to come!

I think it is cute that TPFers critiqued the photo. Big up!

Love & Bass

'bout the only thing you're right about is the media will be a big part of his platform, just like it was during the campaign.

Souza is apparently not a johnny-come-lately. He did 5 1/2 years as White House photographer under the Reagan administration and is an assistant professor of Ohio University school of Visual Communication (2007) as well as having worked for the Chicago Tribune.

Folks... just remember... Pete Souza is a photojournalist. I still think it is a good portrait even though not his speciality. The photos i've seen from Souza stand fine on their own.

Folks... just remember... Pete Souza is a photojournalist. I still think it is a good portrait even though not his speciality. The photos i've seen from Souza stand fine on their own.

We should also keep in mind that this is basically "the standard portrait" of the Chief of Staff. This is the portrait that will hang on Millitary Bases as opposed to being the defining Obama portrait.

Love & Bass

I was asked to do it, but I have a... let us say checkered past. Security put up the read flag as soon as I told them my last name.

)'(

Danm. I have a checkered future.

Most reactions

Back