Why don't they run away from you???

Wow!
So close.
So clear.
So detailed!

How???
How do you TAKE such photos?
Why don't they run away from you???

Well this particular day....yesterday...we were at a nature reserve, although the animals are wild, they are also curious. This little doe was VERY skittish! I was with 3 other people and 2 of them went ahead on the trail and somehow sort of guided her to us through the brush, she saw us and nearly ran so we backed away a bit to show we were not a treat. Slowly we raised the cameras and started snapping. It helped that we had a granola bar handy from feeding the birds... (see next 2 links of my hand)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photodaddy/425971721/?#comment72157600007833135
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photodaddy/425980333/in/photostream/
So anyway I tossed a piece to her and she wanted to know what it was, which gave us a lot of opportunity to creep closer.
I was using my 70-200 and Tim, my friend was using a 400mm. This was actually my first time capturing a deer so close! As a child I was able to have them eat right out of my hand up at NorthWest Trek in the Cascade Mt range in Wa. State, but Im talking 30 years ago...dont know if they allow that anymore.
All the animals on this reserve we shot at are used to seeing humans but not really interacting with us...except the birds LOL

What a beautiful shot. Aren't those reserves great, where you can get close to nature like that??

Even 70-200 doesn't explain you being so close to the beauty. You should be still nearer.
I love it's innocence. Great capture.

haha... i use a 200mm Nikkor w/ a teleconverter.... but whenever i get the money i'd like to buy another 500 or 600mm since i sold my last one for a few bills

good times and good backaches from carrying the 600 through the woods for 5 hours... but SOOO worth it

Most reactions

Back