Oh knowledgable negative lovers.

duncanp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.duncanphilpott.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A lot has changed since i last posted god knows how long ago. i have rarely used my DSLR, processed around 20 rolls of my own film ^^ and printed some 16x12s at college. I am really enjoying film + darkroom and its pretty affordable as all my chemicals are free at college and i get discount film through work :D

So, i am looking at jumping up a format and have started to look at MF cameras, then i realised i had no idea where to start... so i guess ive come crawling back :oops:. I'm looking for a complete set really and i'm not too bothered about picture dimensions either as i found myself cropping a lot of my digital photos square and i have good access to 120 film. I don't need some super high performance camera with rediculously fast shutter speeds or overly complex metering systems as im doing fine with my manual Canon.

Overall, can anyone suggest a durable MF camera to start?

Thanks,

Duncan :)

Yashica TLRs with tessar style lenses are great cameras, and the price is usually right.

At the low end of the cost spectrum are the 120-burning twin-lens rigs. These were the standard until the Hassies and other modern rigs took over the field. The Rollei was king of the hill [and still commands premium prices,] but you can get a Minolta Autocord or YashicaMat and not bust the budget. While you're more or less limited to a standard [75mm/f3.5] lens, the negatives are a joy to work with. And you'll find the world is subtly different when viewed from your bellybutton.

The next step up pricewise gets you into the single-lens reflex rigs. These are great to work with but the cost is way above the older twin-lens boxes.

thanks, any thoughts on the mamiya TLRs? the C330 etc

Wonderful cameras, but too big and heavy IMO. If I'm gonna haul that much camera I might as well be using a SLR. The simpler models (220? or something like that) have lighter, stripped down bodies, and use the same lenses (which is the important part).

What are you shooting (subject matter)?

street, cityscapes, landscapes, portaits. well pretty much anything that takes my fancy. my main subject is mountainbiking, but MF will never be practical for that.

as long as its not as heavy as a 30d + 70-200 2.8 i dont mind.

another camera that catches my eye is the Bronica ERTSi which ive seen a few complete models for around £250, any advice on this?

I bought a Yashica D 2 weeks ago for $85 in near mint condition with leather case. I've only had a chance to shoot one roll, but it's fun to use. You'll need an external light meter for an older camera. I was using my D200 as an expensive meter when I shot the pics below.

Yashica D TLR - a set on Flickr

speaking to a local MF user, he recommended the Bronica MF cameras, and more specifically the SQB as i like the square format. I was happy with the weight of his ERTSi so im probably goign to look more round the square format SLR area.

only issue is im having difficulty finding any SQ As or Bs from sources i am happy purchasing from, are there any alternatives to the SQ?

yea, bronica-wise im looking for the SQs mainly. its just that i cant find any locally

edit: turns out LP has one over at his LCE store :p

Last edited:
im fortunate on the film + developing front, i get it heavily discounted on my staff discount at jessops and develop it for free at college :thumbup:

If I was in your position I'd look for a baby 2x3 speed graphic with a roll film back. That way you'd have he option of shooting 2x3 as well.

As others have suggested the yashica mat is also great bang for the buck.

Rollie's are expensive, BUT they hold their value so even though you may be spending more up front you can always get it back if you want to.

The mamiya 645 is also a great camera, but it can get a bit pricey if you want one with a meter.

Of course you can't go wrong with a mamiya 7, IF you have the $$ for it.

Most reactions

Back