OH THANK GOD...

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
... I have officially shot my LAST WEDDING EVER (as far as I know, haha) this past weekend.

UGH.

Well, as a main shooter anyway.

I'll keep second shooting.

Second shooting is easy.

MAIN shooting is a big pain in the ass.

I thought I tried it. Gave it a go for a year... NOT my cup of tea.

Second shooting, I never have to talk to anyone before hand (and not that I'm against pre-shoot consultations, I do them with ALLLLLL my shoots), brides are a special kind of... I dunno. Second shooting, I show up... I shoot... I hand my cards over... and even if the photographer lets me keep my images after the wedding, I never ever ever ever ever look at them again. Ever. :biglaugh:

It's wonderful.

Main shooting, you gotta deal with all the crap before, during, AND after. ("Are my pictures from 3 days ago done yet? HOW many weeks? It's in the contract? You told me at the pre-consultation? Oh. Well okay. I'll call back in a few days.)

And then having a laughable amount of time to shoot ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the photos, even though you told them what the timeline *should* ideally look like in order to get decent images... that makes me want to hang myself.

"But Rosey, if you would just go for the HIGHER END brides that actually CARE about photography, that wouldn't be an issue."

Yeah, well, quite frankly, my wedding work isn't worth $5,000+ yet sooooooo. No.

And I willfully admit, I don't feel like putting in the work and going through the sh*t I hate JUST to get to the point of being able to shoot $5,000 weddings... cause I really find them boring anyway.

Seriously.

I have MAD RESPECT for full time wedding photographers that actually LOVE what they do.

Cause I don't. Ha.

So yeah... hurray for my last wedding EVER this past weekend!!! :cheers:

(Now I have to make it through all this freakin' editing. :er: )

I'm doing a pretty good job of narrowing down this specialization thing...

Families? Nope.
Babies? Hell no.
Maternity? Nope.
Weddings? Nope.
Glamour/Boudoir? Yes please.
Seniors? Yes please.
Bands? Yes please (Oh... you wanna pay me in beer? ..................FIIIIIIIIIIINE. :lmao: )
Models? Sure. If I hand pick you... otherwise FYPM, I ain't doing that sh*t for free.

But mostly I've decided I'm sticking to women's portraiture and seniors (in which my brand is pointed heavily towards the gals... and gay dudes... or straight dudes that are into fashion and getting photos taken. :lmao: ).

And then there are the bands.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHH the bands. :lol:

Okay.

Word vomit over.

Have a drink in celebration of my knocking another one of the list! Unless you're at work. Then wait till you get home. Unless you're allowed to drink at work. Then have at it.

:cheers:

Everybody likes a woman who knows what she wants, and who can state it loudly and proudly!

I don't blame you! I used to enjoy it way back when I was shooting professionally.... but modern brides / weddings have turned into something I don't want to touch either!

They can pay well if you have the skills, but sometimes the money just isn't worth it. And so many want to cheap out! (that and I shoot for realism! Bride wants to take forty / sixty / ninety pounds off? Do it before the wedding.. I am not doing it in photoshop! Another issue today! ;) )

I don't blame you! I used to enjoy it way back when I was shooting professionally.... but modern brides / weddings have turned into something I don't want to touch either!

They can pay well if you have the skills, but sometimes the money just isn't worth it. And so many want to cheap out! (that and I shoot for realism! Bride wants to take forty / sixty / ninety pounds off? Do it before the wedding.. I am not doing it in photoshop! Another issue today! ;) )

I'm not either. They don't pay me enough. :lol:

Okay so if something REALLY needs work, I'll do it... but as a general rule, I don't do NEARLY the amount of retouching for weddings as I do for portraits. For weddings I work mostly in LR, whereas for portraits I start in LR but do all the heavy lifting in PS.

It's like working in fast food, everyone has to do it and it will make you more grateful at any future job.

The editing would be my biggest annoyance with weddings. Lol I get sick of the subject once I'm through my fav 5ish images so I can't imagine. Have fun. ;)

Shooting weddings would be great if weddings didn't have brides!

I always had more issues withe MOTHER of the brides... and they were indeed MOTHERS (in a non-maternal sense!) lol!

It's like working in fast food, everyone has to do it and it will make you more grateful at any future job.

Not necessarily true... I never had a fast food job. And I didn't *HAVE* to shoot weddings... I just thought... for some INSANE moment in my life... that I might enjoy shooting them.

Turns out I don't.

:lol:

The editing would be my biggest annoyance with weddings. Lol I get sick of the subject once I'm through my fav 5ish images so I can't imagine. Have fun. ;)

Exactly. It's horrible. :lmao:

So, I guess, I shouldn't have referred those 13 couples to you for their weddings? lol, joking.

It's okay, I just picked up the phone and told them all that I had no idea what they were talking about. "I run a plumbing business... not a photography business. But they both start with P, so I could see where Ron may have gotten confused..." :lmao:

So, I guess, I shouldn't have referred those 13 couples to you for their weddings? lol, joking.

It's okay, I just picked up the phone and told them all that I had no idea what they were talking about. "I run a plumbing business... not a photography business. But they both start with P, so I could see where Ron may have gotten confused..." :lmao:[/QUOTE]

Plumber, huh? That conversation could go south in a hurry ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back