Oh yeah, I own an EOS too...

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What's the dumbest thing someone's said to you while you're out shooting?

I don't want an argument about what is dumb, ignorant or just stupid. But what's made you, personally, laugh, regardless of your expertise level.

I heard this yesterday while I was shooting a food shot for a restaurant.
The waitress walks over as I'm packing up.
She said, "Oh is that an EOS?"
I said, "Yep it's an EOS. Are you into photography?"
She said, "Yep I just bought an EOS."
I said, "Cool, which one?"
She said, "The EOS one"
(I'm thinking... don't give up your day job)
I said, "ohh.... *pause*... the 400D?" (trying to help her along)
But she said, "I dunno... it's the EOS one."

I think I started to fade her down then. She'd *just* bought a camera and didn't even know what it was?! I'm not a gear head by any means, and I don't like it when people are, but I just thought that was the other extreme.... and I loved it!

I don't think I have had such an occation.

Closest I can come is the time I had my camera strap around my neck hanging off main street bridge taking a picture od a bike when some old guy strolls by and sais "takin pictures huh" I replyed "tis what I do" and he kept goin on his merry way.

barely a shrug really, and not particularly stupid.

*EDIT*
Oh wait....I take that back. I had a run in with a security guard wile setting up for a shot a wile back. After our discussion and chatting and what not I carried on, just the other night I was on my way down to get some new shots of the Hotel not far from where I live. As I walked by the building he patrolls he was on his way out to lunch.

He took the oppertunity to stop and ask if I had "photographed any UFS of late"

"um, that would be a negitive, I don't point my camera to the sky that often"

"Well you should keep your eyes peeld, they fly threw here all the time"

:confused: :lmao:

Don't get me wrong, I am not so conceded that I believe we are alone, I just have serious doubts about beings from a forign planet having that much intrest in our little world, much less this hole of a city.

I had a guy carrying a fishing rod once ask me what i was taking a pic of in the dark while on a pier (had the camera on a tripod) - i think he thought i was a bit strange till i sorta said what the shot was - long exposure to get the lights etc Ended up his son was into photography so he knew what i was on about lol

I will add the shot didn't work as there was people moving LOL

I had a guy carrying a fishing rod once ask me what i was taking a pic of in the dark while on a pier (had the camera on a tripod) - i think he thought i was a bit strange till i sorta said what the shot was - long exposure to get the lights etc Ended up his son was into photography so he knew what i was on about lol

I will add the shot didn't work as there was people moving LOL

I had a police officer ask me a similar question once wile shooting off the main street bridge here in town, but the look on his face gave me the impression that he was genuinly curious, so I did not think much of it. I just explained it for him.

"Oh wow that picture is really awesome...you must have a really good camera"

*facepalm*

Lady: "I saw your Costa Rica Photos...you must have a very good camera"

Me: groan..."Yes, I do"

Lady: "Oh...is it a Rebel?"

Me: "Have a nice day" :er:

The weird look I get when I walk into a business that has booked me to take photos for their advertisement, and I ask them "What are you trying to sell?"

and they look at me blankly and say 'I dunno'....

I can't think of any stupid remarks I may have come upon in the course of time. No.

But that dog did give me a fright that one summer's day a couple of years ago when I was "taking the camera for a ride", across the country, in order to find myself some neat half-timbered farm houses (sheds, homes, whatever). I arrived in that tiny village (my place is HUGE in comparison) and saw this lovely house, couldn't be bothered to leave the car, so just pulled over and pointed the long lens at that one detail of the house (I didn't even mean to photograph the entire place) from out of the side window.

Suddenly I hear this loud breathing right in my ear, look and there is this MONSTER of a dog next to my car, sniffing into my ear. SHOCK! :shock: :pale:

Soon enough his owner appears asking me "May I ask what you are DOING there?" I said, "I'm taking a PHOTO. Of a detail of that house".

Maybe I was lucky that a) I am female, b) there were no kids playing, and c) my reply seemed genuine and harmless enough. Dog and owner let me go my way.

Later I thought I may have been lucky to have stayed inside the car. :D

A woman I know said she needed a new camera and asked to see mine. As soon as she got it she said, "Oh, it's digital. I need to make prints."

I took out some 8x12s I'd just picked up and she said, "Well, these are great. What camera did you use for these?"

"That one."

"No you didn't. You can't make prints from digital photos."

I just said, "Okay." What's the point of continuing.

It's like the man who said you can't use an English keyboard on a computer is the operating system is in Spanish. I said, "I use a Spanish keyboard and my operating system is in English."

"No, you don't and don't argue with me. I'm an expert."

out with my 300mm F2.8 once someone asked me if I could see the moon with it. "Well as I can see it with my own eyes what do you think?" I asked

Out in London of an evening I've had people ask me to take photos of them with my camera.... Well OK but what's the point, they'll never see the end result.

I don't think I've ever had someone say something dumb like that to me. I watched a salesman at Ritz unload a Nikon D80 on some old couple who wanted something to take on vacation. Yikes!
Oh, I did have someone tell me how wonderfully their Nikon D40 shot sunrises. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd gotten better shots with a point and shoot. Some people just don't understand that the gear you have is second to the talent you possess.

The whole "Nice picture you must have a nice camera" thing pisses me off...

HOWEVER the weirdest thing I ever had was when I was taking a picture of a model at the beach. An old man walked by and said, very seriously, "Make sure she's 18" and then kept walking.

I mean, the pictures were SWIMSUIT but not sexual by any stretch, so I thought it was odd.

Here's the pic BTW:

2225142818_5d1ab90e02.jpg

The whole "Nice picture you must have a nice camera" thing pisses me off...

HOWEVER the weirdest thing I ever had was when I was taking a picture of a model at the beach. An old man walked by and said, very seriously, "Make sure she's 18" and then kept walking.

I mean, the pictures were SWIMSUIT but not sexual by any stretch, so I thought it was odd.

Here's the pic BTW:

2225142818_5d1ab90e02.jpg

I doubt it had anything to do with the photos....he probably assumed you were taking pics of your GF. And, looking at her, he was probably pretty envious. :lol:

I'm no pro, but I have posted some pics on the two mommy boards I frequent and I get the "Wow - I wish I had a camera like yours" comment a lot on one and I have to say it drives me batty.

Most reactions

Back