Oh, you sexy D90!

comasgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am obsessed with the chance that my hubby is buying me a new camera for Christmas! We went to Ritz yesterday and he was asking a lot of questiosn about the D90.....God love him...he had no idea what any of the "camera talk" meant but he tried.
Any D90 users on here? What is your opinion of the camera?? How is the lens that comes with the camera?? I have a set of lenses that I bought for the D40 and I am just curious if the D90 lens kit is worth buying. It seemed great in the store but not too much you can do with lighting in a store :)
I am thinking of just buying the body and a prime lens but I wanted to hear other peoples thoughts

I also upgraded from the D40 to the D90. I am not dissapointed in my decision. I really like the camera, I find it much more user friendly than the D40. With the camera I purchased two prime lens, a 28 mm and a 85 mm. I love both of them. I also went out and purchased a book ( the authors name escapes me ) which I have found really helpful. Stay away from the D90 for dummies, I bought that one as well and do not like it. Enjoy it. If I get an opportunity I will post some snap shots from this weekend.

I had a D90 and loved it, never had any trouble at all! It's a great camera that will perform awesomly!

I dont own a D90, but from the comments written here, its a great camera.

I would skip over the kit lens though if you already have a set of kit lenses that came with the D40. Get the body, and focus on getting some high quality lenses.

While a body upgrade is fun, a lens upgrade will seriously help your photography.

Good luck with the present!

That is one good husband! You will love it. I upgraded from the older D70s and I am very happy I did. I love everything about it, except one thing only: the grip and the camera in general feels too small for my hands. Without being sexist and with best of intentions, I think it is better suited for a woman's hands, so you should not have that problem. I know nothing about the kit lenses, if you budget permits I would spend just a bit extra and get something better. There are a lot of options in both the zoom and prime area that would make the camera really shine. Merry Christmas!

Well, the big seller on the D90 for me is that fact that the body has the autofocus motor inside it, which if no one told you, means that the lenses you buy, dont need the motor in them. If you buy a D40, D60, D3000, or D5000, the lenses you buy require a motor in them so that the autofocus feature will function. This naturally drives up the prices of lenses. This is also a big feature if you buy gear that is alittle older, which I often do on Ebay. I don't have a D90, but I have a D200, and it seems to me that the D90 is one of the most capable cameras money can buy. I really like the build of the camera.

As far as lenses go, I'm am going to sell the last kit lense I have on ebay this week. Do yourself a favor and buy good glass the first time around, and that way, you'll save yourself money in the long run. I actually asked my wife to get me a 50mm prime lense, this is a good start if you don't own any lenses, especially for portraits and low light shooting. A few other accessories that I recommend after you have some glass are a dedicated flash, and when you get a telephoto lense, get a monopod. And yes... these cameras are money pits, so consider yourself warned... :)

Yea I agree with Bigtwinky...skip the kit lens, and get either the 50mm f1.8 or the 35mm f1.8.

The D90 is by far the best camera for the money. In my opinion :)
It truly has remarkable high ISO performance. You will not be disappointed in the camera. It's in a completely different class than the D40.

What lenses do you currently have?

I've posted these examples before in high ISO range 400-6400

ISO400
The specs in the shot are rain drops...
DSC_8224.jpg

ISO800
DSC_8036.jpg

ISO3200
DSC_7559.jpg

ISO6400
DSC_7714.jpg

ISO6400
DSC_7778.jpg

Why is my picture so small? I used photo bucket. I just removed my post until I can figure out how to post real size pics. Hope Santa comes thru for you.

I don't want to accept the D90, but I've shot a few images with it before and it's NIIIIIIICCCCCCEEEEEE.

I just recently upgraded from a D80 to a D90 and have been using mine for a week. I absolutely love it, especially with my 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. Quality is great. I just got a few 8x10 prints made and everything is perfect. Hopefully you get it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back