Oil in f/1.4 aperture blades (with pictures)

Mavvi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I bought an SAL50F14 full price from a store last tuesday. When I opened up the box to check inside I noticed that the blades were wet, but as a lens-noob (as this is the first lens I've personaly bought) I didn't think of it as a big deal until I asked a more seasoned photographer about it earlier today.

He told me that it shouldn't be like this, and in worst case scenario it may end up on my sensor ruining the camera. So I will take it back to the store tomorrow, most likely only to hear a lot of whining about them not having a new one in, bla bla, because it seems like this Sony-lens is super-rare in Norway.

Anyway, I tried google this issue and more people said that it wouldn't be a big deal if you bought the lens cheaper because of this and whatnot, but more people there said that they should send it back because of reasons........ But these posts were from 2002, and yes, the answer still may be legit, but I want something fresher so I joined this forum now to ask more about it.

I've added a picture of the aperture blades and a picture taken with the lens on 30" f/1.4 100 opened in Photoshop Camera RAW and pulled the Dehaze slider all the way to +100 (together with the small adjustments you can see on the screenshot). I was wondering if the oil from the blades may have dripped down on the lens while in the box causing these rings to happen?
11872825_10155897712615321_1787015549_n.jpg screenshot.1202.jpg

Thank you for reading, and hoping for a quick respons.

In my experience MA lenses are especially problematic by oily blades, which I believe to be a result of it's "normally closed" position. The lens should be retuned if possible.

The issue is that over time the oil will cause the blade to slow to the point that it cannot properly synchronize with the shutter. This will result in a partially stopped-down aperture scenario.

Before automatic lenses were developed oily apertures weren't a big deal at all provided that they weren't frozen up entirely. A leaky aperature could be used for decades without problem and this is probably where the advice not to worry had come from. Today, however, it's a much more significant issue, and unless you paid peanuts for it, I'd return it for sure.

If you paid very little for it, enjoy it while it can still keep up. But it will eventually lag. Maybe not today, maybe not even next year, but eventually it will.

As for if it's leaking onto the lens elements, that's entirely possible, too, though I have never personally owned a leaky lens where that had happened, or if it had it never affected IQ.

In my experience MA lenses are especially problematic by oily blades, which I believe to be a result of it's "normally closed" position. The lens should be retuned if possible.

The issue is that over time the oil will cause the blade to slow to the point that it cannot properly synchronize with the shutter. This will result in a partially stopped-down aperture scenario.

Before automatic lenses were developed oily apertures weren't a big deal at all provided that they weren't frozen up entirely. A leaky aperature could be used for decades without problem and this is probably where the advice not to worry had come from. Today, however, it's a much more significant issue, and unless you paid peanuts for it, I'd return it for sure.

If you paid very little for it, enjoy it while it can still keep up. But it will eventually lag. Maybe not today, maybe not even next year, but eventually it will.

As for if it's leaking onto the lens elements, that's entirely possible, too, though I have never personally owned a leaky lens where that had happened, or if it had it never affected IQ.

First; Thank you for replying fast with a good answer and secondly; that you made a good point for me to want an updated answer.

I payed 3399,- NOK (411USD / 375EUR), which is a lot to me, for this lens from (Japan Foto) a store that only sells unused products. So I will go there tomorrow and

a)
ask for a new (or as this lens is apperantly rare, and that f1.8 is more common for Sony these days it seems)
b) ask for a full professional cleaning on their tab.

I want this lens to be fully operational for years! Even tho I just noticed on the provided picture that I've slowly started to tear of the information-ring with the front cap...

Thank you.

unpopular said:

Nikon's 35mm f/2 AF-D lens model has been absolutely plagued by the issue of oil on the aperture blades...not sure why, but that specific lens model has a terrible reputation for oily blades...I bought one used in 2002, and it was absolutely fine, until one day in the summer of 2014, the lens aperture became sooooo gummed up that it would not stop down properly, and opened up exceptionally slowly after each fired frame.The 35/2 had been "fine" up until that day--no warning, I examined the lens many times over the prior 10,12 years, and felt relived that I had gotten one that had no issues with oily blades.

Basically...if the lens was set to f/8, when the shutter fired, the aperture would be about f/2.5, judging by the MASSIVELY over-exposed shots I was getting. Everything I shot was wayyyy overexposed, unless I was shooting at around f/2!

You do NOT want a lens that had oily aperture blades. No matter what the price of the lens.

Last edited:
I would definitely say that $400 on a 50mm prime, 1.4 or otherwise, is a lot. I wouldn't have it cleaned unless they're willing to send it into Sony. Demand evidence that it was cleaned by an authorized Sony shop, or your money back.

Your other option would be to get the Minolta MA 50/1.4. While I can't say for certain, it's probably (if not likely) the same lens.

unpopular said:

Nikon's 35mm f/2 AF-D lens model has been absolutely plagued by the issue of oil on the aperture blades...not sure why, but that specific lens model has a terrible reputation for oily blades...I bought one used in 2002, and it was absolutely fine, until one day in the summer of 2014, the lens aperture became sooooo gummed up that it would not stop down properly, and opened up exceptionally slowly after each fired frame.The 35/2 had been "fine" up until that day--not warning, I examined the lens many times over the prior 10,12 years, and felt relived that I had gotten one that had no issues with oily blades.

Basically...if the lens was set to f/8, when the shutter fired, the aperture would be about f/2.5, judging by the MASSIVELY over-exposed shots I was getting. Everything I shot was wayyyy overexposed, unless I was metering at f/2!

You do NOT want a lens that had oily aperture blades. No matter what the price of the lens.

Thank you, Darrel. I will take the lens back to the shop tomorrow and if they cannot provide me with new lens, they will have to send the bill of cleaning it to Sony. I ain't paying for cleaning something that should have been clean.

Thank you, Darrel. I will take the lens back to the shop tomorrow and if they cannot provide me with new lens, they will have to send the bill of cleaning it to Sony. I ain't paying for cleaning something that should have been clean.
Personally, I would only accept a refund or a different lens. If a lens is prone to "oiling" then, a simple cleaning may well not fix it, and it's likely the problem will return in short order. As an aside, there actually very little oil involved here, just a couple of drops, and it's contained in the lens, so it can't hurt the rest of the camera, and it's unlikely to affect images, other than by cause exposure problems through improper opening/closing of the aperture blades.

Personally, I would only accept a refund or a different lens. If a lens is prone to "oiling" then, a simple cleaning may well not fix it, and it's likely the problem will return in short order. As an aside, there actually very little oil involved here, just a couple of drops, and it's contained in the lens, so it can't hurt the rest of the camera, and it's unlikely to affect images, other than by cause exposure problems through improper opening/closing of the aperture blades.

I took it to the shop today and he said it wasn't supposed to be that way and as they dont have another in stock in whole Norway he had to send it to repair which will probably send it to Sony where they either change the blades or maybe send a new one..... Time will show, and I'm afraid there will be a lot of time going on here now.. >_>

I've only had it for a week so far, so I havent really sat roots with it yet, so I'll probably manage for a while, but it sucks that it will take so long for me to get it back as I want to get better at blending as most of my pictures with it so far gets "wet" and blurry as I'm shooting wild at everything at f/1.4.

Thanks for the answer, tho. Now I just gotta wait and hope for the best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back