OK 10D users

steve817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It seems I have been having a problem. On more than one occasion I have shot a picture looked at it in the lcd screen and checked out the histogram. All looks well until I bring it up on my computer screen. Then it looks well like....****!!
It's all dark and I have to bring the levels way up and the when I do that, it's all noisy what the hell am I doing wrong?

Other peoples pictures on this site look great so I'm guessing not. I'm wondeing if my it's a problem with conflicting profiles.

When you bring it up on your screen...what software are you using? Have you tried different software?

Are you shooting Raw or JPG?

I have no idea but the more info you have, the more likely someone here will be able to help.

On the D70 the histogram only displays the green channel I believe. So at times it can be slightly inaccurate.

I actually have the same problem with mine. I reset the LCD to be closer to the actual image. It's still off but I know that if something looks a tad blown out on the screen, that it's prolly ok.

Personally, I find the LCD useless most of the time. IMO Everything looks perfect for the desired focused and exposed. Would like to see the LCD twice as large but un-fortunately that would not fit on the back with current thumb knob

Yeah,. i have the same problem. with my LCD< especially with the focus. that and I really have no idea how to use the histogram.

steve817 said:
It seems I have been having a problem. On more than one occasion I have shot a picture looked at it in the lcd screen and checked out the histogram. All looks well until I bring it up on my computer screen. Then it looks well like....s***!!
It's all dark and I have to bring the levels way up and the when I do that, it's all noisy what the hell am I doing wrong?
Does it happen to ALL the pictures that you take?

I've also found that the LCD display on mine seems to show the exposure as OK even when it's off slightly, I guess it's the nature of the beast.
Maybe the display brightness has something to do with it and for reference I run mine at one level down from max.
Overall the LCD preview is just a rough guide and I too would like to see it larger with more pixels but it's not a big deal for me.

I've had the same problem with the 10D. I set it to display the histogram, and I did learn how to read them but still sometimes the images are darker and I always have to adjust the levels or curves to get it right. Like Tammy, I try to make sure it looks a little overexposed (but not so much the black warnings start flashing) and it turns out much better. I wonder if the 20D has improved/eliminated this problem?

AlisonS said:
I've had the same problem with the 10D. I set it to display the histogram, and I did learn how to read them but still sometimes the images are darker and I always have to adjust the levels or curves to get it right. Like Tammy, I try to make sure it looks a little overexposed (but not so much the black warnings start flashing) and it turns out much better. I wonder if the 20D has improved/eliminated this problem?

So far from what I can tell, it is better. I hated that about my 300d, it did seem to appear really nice on the lcd then darker when I transferred it. Initially though, I didn't have my monitor calibrated to standard spec and so I ran through that exercise, that's helped me in getting proper exposure. The histogram is an incredible tool, I never would have known about that unless I RTFM (read the manual).

What's interesting about the 20d is how incredibly LOUD the shutter release is... odd. No biggy, just not sure why the big difference, as in, twice as loud.

I'll really get a feel for this camera this weekend, I'll be shooting a tournament for a guy I know and it lasts about 4-5 hours so I'll be using it quite a bit. Looking forward to it.

On the other hand, my instructor asked me last night to film his tournament in Jan :oops:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back