OK DUMB question...about the 2.8 24-85 lens..macro switch

kalliela

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, how does one use the macro switch? It appears locked..do I just need to push it down more? Or do I need to unlock it somehow and then push it down to switch to macro? I didn't want to use too much force trying to switch it down as I don't want to mess up the lens.

I think it says to have the focus ring between infinity and .5m..but isn't it BAD to adjust the focus ring manually while the camera is in auto focus mode??? Do I need to switch the camera to manual focus, turn the focus ring and then switch it back to AF? Or, it may be easier just to take the lens off then adjust the focus ring? I thought it was never good to mess with the focus ring too much if it's an AF lens.

I don't know a whole lot about AF lenses...most of my stuff was shot with an all manual camera and lens until recently.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I guess you didn't look in the right place. I googled "nikon lens manuals"!

Main list of manuals https://support.nikonusa.com/app/an...oduct-manuals-available-for-download#Anchor-2

PDF for 24-85 D (which I am assuming is the one, since you didn't say?) http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/lenses/AF/AF24-85_2.8-4D_(80)09.pdf

"Macro focusing (Fig. A)
Normal focus extends from infinity (∞) to 0.5m (1.6 ft.). When the macro switch is set to MACRO, the lens will
focus down to approx. 0.21m (0.7 ft.). Macro focusing is possible within the 35–85mm range. The macro range is
indicated by an orange line on the lens barrel. A maximum reproduction ratio of approximately 1:3.6 is obtained at
the 35mm setting, while a reproduction ratio of 1:2 is possible at 85mm.
When moving the macro switch back to NORMAL, make sure the focus ring is set between infinity (∞) and
0.5m (1.6 ft.)."

Thank you, could someone answer my other questions above?

Thanks.

No. It is not bad to manually adjust the focus ring on the lens when the lens is not being focused by the camera.

No. It is not bad to manually adjust the focus ring on the lens when the lens is not being focused by the camera.

So, I switch the cam to MF and manually focus it...then switch to AF after I am done hitting the switch, basically?

I am new to AF lenses like I said, lol.

The orange line on the focus ring and the orange line on the focal length identify where Macro can be used in conjunction with each other.

The macro switch only activates between 35 and 85mm, where the orange line is.
at 24 to 34 mm the switch is locked and Macro is OFF.

likewise while in macro you can only go from 85 to 35mm.
you have to unlock the macro switch to go from 34 down to 24mm (focus has to be greater than 0.5 out of the orange focus line)

you can have it unlocked and go the entire range from 24 to 85mm

if you notice on the focus ring there is also an orange line.
This correlates to what focusing you can do while in macro mode.
you have to be out of that orange focusing area to unlock the macro mode to have access to the full 24 - 85 focal range

you do not have to turn off the AF for this.
But if you are in AF and you are up close, the lens will focus into the orange band area.
you cannot unlock the macro switch until you pull the lens away and focus at something further away, then it will get out of the orange focus band area and you can unlock the switch.

you can also turn off the AF and have the same limits based on the orange bands of focusing (0.5 to M) and focal length (35 -85)

I just tested it as I use one too.

fyi, gipson said the same thing I did, except more technical :)

Last edited:
The orange line on the focus ring and the orange line on the focal length identify where Macro can be used in conjunction with each other.

The macro switch only activates between 35 and 85mm, where the orange line is.
at 24 to 34 mm the switch is locked and Macro is OFF.

likewise while in macro you can only go from 85 to 35mm.
you have to unlock the macro switch to go from 34 down to 24mm (focus has to be greater than 0.5 out of the orange focus line)

you can have it unlocked and go the entire range from 24 to 85mm

if you notice on the focus ring there is also an orange line.
This correlates to what focusing you can do while in macro mode.
you have to be out of that orange focusing area to unlock the macro mode to have access to the full 24 - 85 focal range

you do not have to turn off the AF for this.
But if you are in AF and you are up close, the lens will focus into the orange band area.
you cannot unlock the macro switch until you pull the lens away and focus at something further away, then it will get out of the orange focus band area and you can unlock the switch.

you can also turn off the AF and have the same limits based on the orange bands of focusing (0.5 to M) and focal length (35 -85)

I just tested it as I use one too.

fyi, gipson said the same thing I did, except more technical :)

But I cheated... that is a copy and paste from the manual! lol!

OP... if you want to shoot Macro with this lens, it will only do 1:2... which is half life size. Which is fine to start out with! And most Macro is shot in Manual focus.. not AF! There is a reason for that... accuracy at close distances!!!

So, I switch the cam to MF and manually focus it...then switch to AF after I am done hitting the switch, basically?
No. You do not need to switch from AF to manual focus.

Thanks, I figured it out!:D

Huh, I didn't know most macro was shot manual. The macro with AF on this lens seems kinda of ok to me...but I am no expert on macro! lol. Very interesting, didn't know that!

Much like has been said, for macro photography, you will use manual focusing exclusively. The trick is to set your (manual) focusing to 1:1 for macro, or in your case 1:2 and then get your subject in frame and close to focused. Then with a proper shooting technique for stability, small, precise adjustments in body movements in or out for focus will yeild the subject in focus.

It takes time, practice and patients. Nothing less.

but isn't it BAD to adjust the focus ring manually while the camera is in auto focus mode???
Depends on the lens. It sounds like from what other people are saying it's okay to do on that one.

But other ones you can destroy the focusing motor by attempting to do this, even when it's not actively autofocusing. usually cheaper lenses require you to actually go to MF, and nicer ones allow you to override without flipping the switch.

If you're not supposed to override without the switch, it should be pretty obvious (either you physically can't move the ring without forcing it, or you can but it makes an unpleasant grinding noise).

This was actually the first time I tested my lens on Macro mode. Pretty neat. I got a couple inches away from a drink can and took shots of the ingredients list which is super small to my eyes. Nicely in focus on AF too. I didn't try manual as I was too busy writing how to use it :)

Most reactions

Back