Ok. Have just developed my film... but...

When I develop film, it's typically one roll at a time. I soak it, with agitation, in plain water for about 30-45 seconds, then I fill the tank with just the recommended amount (375ml in a plastic tank as printed on the bottom) of developer. Then, to avoid the noise, and avoid cracking my tank, I smack it hard, bottom flat, onto the rag-rug on my tile bathroom floor. Then I begin regular agitation, 5 inversions every 30 seconds.

The only time I've ever had problems was when I tried agitating by sliding the tank vigorously across the countertop because I wanted to see how it would work, producing uneven development, particularly with the dev flowing through the sprocket holes near the surface of the dev, but also along the length of the film in a rather uneven fashion. And, only one time, I got air bells, which if I recall correctly, was the one time I didn't presoak the film.

I suppose everyone has different experiences here. I probably have the least of all, so, take it for what it's worth.

I have always slid the tank around on the table to agitate as I don't like having chemicals dribble down my arms - and tanks always leak.
The results you describe are flow patterns and are caused by setting up currents in the dev. In effect you are making the developer rotate in the tank. Rather like stirring a cup of tea.
The method I use, and have always taught sudents to use, is the Kodak 'figure of 8'. You slide the tank around in a figure 8 movement covering a distance of 12-18 inches. Each complete circuit should take about 2 seconds. You do it for a count of 5.
By reversing the movement each cycle you stop the liquid in the tank from rotating so you don't get flow patterns.
Works for me.

Hertz van Rental said:
I have always slid the tank around on the table to agitate as I don't like having chemicals dribble down my arms - and tanks always leak.
The results you describe are flow patterns and are caused by setting up currents in the dev. In effect you are making the developer rotate in the tank. Rather like stirring a cup of tea.
The method I use, and have always taught sudents to use, is the Kodak 'figure of 8'. You slide the tank around in a figure 8 movement covering a distance of 12-18 inches. Each complete circuit should take about 2 seconds. You do it for a count of 5.
By reversing the movement each cycle you stop the liquid in the tank from rotating so you don't get flow patterns.
Works for me.

I might have to try that some time. I was using a back-and-forth motion with the tank, in a slight arc. As for leaky tanks... yes. I've found that a light touch on the outer lid keeps leakage to a minimum, and holding the tank a little low, wearing a glove, and wiping the outside of the tank with a towel keeps the mess down.

But basically, Murphey's third law of developing film applies as universally as any other of his laws: waterproof tanks aren't.

Back and forth in a slight arc usually causes the liquid in the tank to rotate in one direction - which is why you got flow marks.

The main reason I don't like inversion as a method is because of the liquid loss. It is quite possible to lose enough dev during the processing so that the level falls below the edge of the film. I had it happen once and I wouldn't recommend it.

Anyone mind if I hijack the thread? Hertz, you mentioned that too vigorous agitation creates banding... a roll of Delta 400 I developed today has one big stripe running through the negs where the centre is noticeably yellow, the effect of which is that prints appear lighter in the middle than on the top and bottom. Would that be the result of too much or too harsh agitation? I don't think it's chemicals left on the film since I spent more time rinsing this roll than usual, after developing and especially in the final rinse. On the other hand I didn't use any wetting agent or anything... just develop, rinse, fix, several rinses.

Most reactions

Back