OK. I bought the iPhone

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So tell me what aps are necessary? I want to play here!
I was bummed that the camera has no zoom on it, but that's about it so far. Haven't figured out probably 1/2 of everything else. I am totally iPhone stupid. BUT it's a toy to keep me occupied in these days in between where I am bored!

of course first of all, there's the TPF app, haha. The ebay and amazon app for all your impulse purchase needs. iTunes U is pretty amazing. There are tons of photography courses on there, along with pretty much everything else under the sun. They may be a bit beginner-ish for your needs, but there are worse things to read when you're bored. Kindle reader. You could join the dark side of instagram. After that it really depends on your specialized individual needs. Usually just start with 'what would you want an app for?' and there is probably one out there.

You had a chance to talk me out of it yesterday. No one even tried, so I jumped ship!

Kindle (check)
iTunes U (check)
Flashlight (check)
Instagram I can live without... I think.
Derrell was talking about one the other day. I gotta go find that...

MLeeK said:
You had a chance to talk me out of it yesterday. No one even tried, so I jumped ship!

You should be able to zoom. When you have the camera up put two fingers on the screen and pinch them together. A slider should appear and that will allow you to zoom. Oh and welcome to the family. ;)

I got my first iphone last week! get the procamera app. You can zoom, bump iso, and select what you want exposed :) its fun!

oh well :D

Maybe search for light meter app. So in case you forgot to bring your light meter and you can use your phone as light meter. The one I use for Android is beecam lightmeter. Not sure if they make one for Apple. If not, I am sure there are similar apps.

So with that app, I set the ISO and f number, then the app use the phone light sensor (I guess) and tell me the LUX, EV as well as shutter speed. (Of course, if I set the shutter speed, it will give me the f number based on the ambient)

Maybe search for light meter app. So in case you forgot to bring your light meter and you can use your phone as light meter. The one I use for Android is beecam lightmeter. Not sure if they make one for Apple. If not, I am sure there are similar apps.

So with that app, I set the ISO and f number, then the app use the phone light sensor (I guess) and tell me the LUX, EV as well as shutter speed. (Of course, if I set the shutter speed, it will give me the f number based on the ambient)

I can't see how that would be within 2 stops of being accurate. Light meters on cell phones aren't made to be accurate to any sort of degree of precision, they just have generalized readings for 'pitch black', 'sorta dark', 'normal', 'bright light' and 'full on sunshine'. At that point you might as well just use your camera, LCD and histogram.

Just searched lightmeter for iphone and theres one called Pocket light meter...Its got good reviews and is free...

I can't see how that would be within 2 stops of being accurate. Light meters on cell phones aren't made to be accurate to any sort of degree of precision, they just have generalized readings for 'pitch black', 'sorta dark', 'normal', 'bright light' and 'full on sunshine'. At that point you might as well just use your camera, LCD and histogram.

I agree it varies from phone to phone. It is a free tool and it is fairly accurate with the right hardware. If you read the reviews, you will find people were able to get close reading from the app when compare to their professional light meter. (Some may require calibration from the app). There are people in the review report good result with their film as well. So your miles may vary. It is a tool that in my phone, and you don't have to use it.

I agree it varies from phone to phone. It is a free tool and it is fairly accurate with the right hardware. If you read the reviews, you will find people were able to get close reading from the app when compare to their professional light meter. (Some may require calibration from the app). There are people in the review report good result with their film as well. So your miles may vary. It is a tool that in my phone, and you don't have to use it.

I wasn't really chastising you for it or anything, just a bit skeptical on the phones I've tried. But then again I'm skeptical of a lot of dedicated light meters anyway.

CONGRATS!

Apple rules technology (spoken from a reformed mac hater!)

So I downloaded the iOS 6 user guide.
It's 156 friggin' pages??? WTH? I am in big a$$ trouble if it takes 156 pages to learn how to use this damn thing! I am old! Give me the idiots guide and let me be blissfully ignorant of all the extra crap!

Just searched lightmeter for iphone and theres one called Pocket light meter...Its got good reviews and is free...

I just downloaded one. Can't remember what it's called. But then I played with it and it's really pretty cool. I can stop it where I get the exposure where I want it and I can select a smaller area of the screen to meter. Pretty cool! Now I have to play with it with the cameras!

oh well
icon_biggrin.gif

I have seen some of the iphone-ography and the ability it has to get really accurate has always impressed me over my android which sucked in a major way. I'll let you know how the meter ap does when I go play with it. I expect it to be fairly close, to be honest with you.

Most reactions

Back