Ok, I can take it... How much is it worth?

I HATE HIM TOO!

That said weren't there some official high grade FD to EOS adaptors made by canon and sold in limited numbers? For a big of glass like that I'd consider it worth hunting around to try and find one (as I recall they get a bit expensive when they do appear).

He should find that and some nice 1.4T and 2T teleconvertors!

Also I have a laptop, can we do the same trade? ;)

The fact that it is stamped with US NAVY gives it somewhat of a rarer status I'd wager. Hang onto that thing and find the correct avenue if you decide to part with it. People just love militaria ;)

Nice score! And as has been suggested, go get an FD-mount camera and really put that lens to use! You got such a great price on it, you really have no excuse NOT to find a decent used FD body now! Me, I'd get an AE-1 or an AE-1 program.

eek1.gif
Congrats!

Okay, so granted this is an older lens, but why is it so inexpensive? I assume that Canon, like Nikon has always produced excellent lenses, and even a 25+ year old 400mm 2.8 will still fetch ~$3000 without any problem.

As someone already said, buy a FD mount camera and give that bad boy a good use. Damn! Or just keep it under your bed in case some strangers try to rob your house.

Okay, so granted this is an older lens, but why is it so inexpensive? I assume that Canon, like Nikon has always produced excellent lenses, and even a 25+ year old 400mm 2.8 will still fetch ~$3000 without any problem.

Probably because its FD mount and thus limited totally to film gear (and all film gear has depreciated a lot). The only adaptors out there for FD to EOS appear to be cheap make ones only with only a handful of those proper high quality canon adaptors out there. So the potential market for a professional grade FD lens is smaller. The new mirrorless hybrids might however result in a rise in second hand lens prices because of the ease of making non-glass requiring filters, but how high that is depends on how the market treats the new cameras and if indeed people want them (a Olympus Pen on that lens would probably get lost ;))

One went for about $1500 on ebay a couple of days ago. It was also from the US NAVY. Nice find though.

You're going to hate me even more :) I took it apart to convert it to EF. But the way I did it is 100% reversible. Below is my first test shot to make sure I could focus to infinity with the new mount. Keep in mind, my tripod is woefully inadiquite for a lens this size, so it was moving around quite a bit. I can't stop down the aperture just yet because I haven't fitted new linkage to the internal mechanism. But I'm happy with it for half a days work.

The moon - 50% Crop, straight from camera. I know it's OOF :(
moon_800mm.jpg

Most reactions

Back