OK. I can't decide...

50mm f1.4USN or 50mm f1.8 EF?

• 50mm f1.4 USM @ £190

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • 50mm f.18 EF @ £60

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
If you're asking it means you can afford the 1.4... :D
I paid £165 for a new f/1.4 (though not Canon) and don't regret it at all. The Canon Nikon 1.4s are generally more expensive than this... managed to get a discount? :thumbup:

I voted for the 1.8 but what I really wanted to suggest wasn't part of your poll. Save up and get the 85mm f1.2. It's truly the best money that I've EVER spent on camera gear. :hail: to the lens!

1.4 its a stunner or a used original 1.8 not the plastic mkII

I've lost count of the number of people who have brought a 1.8 off me after I've told them to get the 1.4

They never listen they just get the 1.8 then 6 months later they are back part exchanging it for the 1.4, its a bit like tripods, they start with a £30 wobblepod then 6 months later they are back for a £70 Velbon then another 6 months they are back for a £180 Manfrotto then a year later they are back again for a £220 carbon Manfrotto then another year passes and yep they're back for a Gitzo, and so continues the circle of life and I die a little more inside

That's quite a 50/50 split! :lol:

Photogoddess, that's a £1000 lens! :shock: Realisticly I can only stretch to about £200! :(

Pretty much sold on the f1.4 after what Andy said. I know if i get the f1.8 I'll wish I had the f1.4 in the end, and I really don't like the plastic lenses especially the plastic mounts!

Just means I'll have to wait to get a decent flash gun, but with a 50mm f1.4 I shouldn't need flash for a while! :biggrin:

PlasticSpanner, If you can afford it, go with the f/1.4 and wait a bit for the flash.

The f/1.4 has a steel lensmount, an ultrasonic (read: quiet) focusing motor, and an internal focusing mechanism. I suspect it is of higher optical quality too, but I'm not sure about that.

It's only about 1/2 stop faster than the f/1.8, so speed isn't really a reason. It's the quality. Buy once, cry once. Buy cheap, buy twice. ;)

Can I have a vote even though I use that other brand? You are obviously a serious and talented photographer so have the best bit of kit that you can.

There is also an f1.8 85mm USM lens for about the same price as the 50mm f1.4 which is effectively the same as a 135mm f1.8 for digital!

PG could be onto something here although there's still no way
I could buy the f1.2! :lol:

well, if you can afford the 1.2 without pain, go for the 1.2 ... if you can afford the 1.4 .. go for it ... if not go for 1.8 ... simple as that ;)

The 1.4 is my only canon non L-lens which survived my switch to digital ...

Can I have a vote even though I use that other brand? You are obviously a serious and talented photographer so have the best bit of kit that you can.

From what I understand the "other" camera lenses are very similar i.e the 50mm f1.8 and f1.4 so your vote and input is most welcome! :)

And the winner is..........Neither!

I took Photogodess's advice (kinda) & got an 85mm f1.8 USM.

A little cheaper than the 50mm f1.4 but still with the same USM, internal focusing and metal mount! Feels satisfyingly heavy too! :thumbup:

I've 'borrowed' one of those from work and loved it

Most reactions

Back