Ok, more lens questions rawr rawr

JDP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pavleck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I was planning on jumping from a D50 right to a D200, but through all of your gentle prodding, I've decided instead to get some glass. Partly because it makes more sense and partly because I decided I actually need some things around the house so the D200 can wait a few months.

Anyway, what's a good all-purpose lens? Right now on my D50 I'm using the kit 18-50mm which I've learned is not very good optically.

I know for certain I'll be picking up the 50mm f/1.4 (or 1.8) - the 1.4 is $339 at my local camera shop, which I'm comfortable with. This lens will end up being my 'theater' shooting (And low low light) lens when I don't feel like renting the 18-55 f/2.8 lens.
So, with a budget of $400 - $500 or so, I'm looking for a good all-purpose lens for outdoor/indoor/flash use.
What are your thoughts on the new 18-135mm Nikkor lens? Decent all-around performance?
Or should I go for something that comes with the D70 kit and is offered by my local camera shop with the D200, the 18-70mm lens?

I'd like to stick with one of the DX lenses unless there's one out there that's really nice for the price. Thanks again guys, you've really fueled my photog engine :D

Good choice by sticking with your camera. Good glass can always make a great picture. I use a Nikon d80 and the lens I normally use is a Nikkor lens 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6. I am really pleased with it and seem to have no problems with it. I also have a nikkor 12-24mm f/4 wide angle and I dont recommend this lens. Knowing that its a wide angle and that it will alter the image, to me it seems that it bends the pictures out of focus in some areas...maybe a third from the left and right of the frame.Its nothing severe its just that there are better wide angle lenses.

I have an 18-135mm and love it. Great little lens, and you can get them for only $200 used. You could get that and a 50mm f/1.4 still stay in the $500 ballpark. Another thing to consider is a Sigma/Tamron/Tokina 18-50mm-ish f/2.8 zoom, although you'll probably still need to use a flash with these indoors unless you can get away with slow shutter speeds (like 1/30s). These are right around $500. Personally I'd go with a used 18-135 and a 50mm f/1.4 (new or used).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back