OK... one last question about this wedding shoot

something like a 10-20mm would be good for group shots. It's really hard to say, i'd research it some more and make your selections based on what you will be shooting.
thats is an ultra wide lens and unless you're working in tight space, chances are you don't need such zoom range.

are you going to be renting a 2nd camera?
Unless the answer is yes, I would seriously not bother with a 2nd lens.
What are your plans for the day?
Are you going to be taking posed shots of the wedding party outdoors? Your 35 will work.
Are you going to be capturing the wedding from close up? (I'm assuming yes, if it is at someone's home) then your 35 will work.

If anything else I'd use the 17-55, but only if it has a fixed 2.8 or less

I'd not even try to use your kit lens.
It is not going to open up enough, since I'm pretty sure you said no flash.

I keep reading using wide angle lenses for group shots but don't you have to be very careful about how wide you go. I thought I read somewhere that too wide makes the people on the edges look distorted sometimes?
Depends on the lens, and the distance b/n you and people.

Your kit lens isn't that bad. The problem with it is the variable aperture. When you zoom in and out your aperture changes. With the 2 lenses mentioned you stay at a constant 2.8 which lets in more light than 5.6.

Amen to that.

I usually rent the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. When I give pricing, i usually include an extra $150 for renting the lenses. So its not too much of a loss from me.

Most reactions

Back