ok quick question...

Sontizzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im trying to get away from using full auto on my rebel xti and using my manual modes. my question is can i set all the manual modes and they get used together when taking the shot. like when i set the dial to aperture priority to f4 and set it, go to shutter priority and set it to 1/100, and set my iso speed to 200 and when i press the shutter button thats the exact settings the picture will be takin at? what happens if i press the shutter button half way and it autofocuses? wouldnt that change my aperture and iso? should i just completely press the shutter button down without doing the AF?

this prolly sounds confusing but thats about the best i can explain it lol

You don't need to go to Aperture/Shutter priority to set those things; everything can be done in Manual mode. Those settings don't change when you AF.

Your settings will change according to the light in all modes except "Manual". In AV mode your shutter speeds will change in order to maintain the pre-selected aperture. In TV mode your f-stops will change in order to maintain the pre-selected shutter speed. In Manual Mode you manually pre-select shutter speed speed, aperture and ISO and the camera will maintain those setting until you manually re-select a different setting(s).

Gary

oh ok i understand now. i feel like a dummy. one more question. i know how to set the shutter speed, aperture and iso in manual but i cant figure out how to set the exposure (-2 thru +2). it keeps putting it on -2 and ive been reading through my manual and i cant set it in manual mode, i keep having to use my flash.

oh ok i understand now. i feel like a dummy. one more question. i know how to set the shutter speed, aperture and iso in manual but i cant figure out how to set the exposure (-2 thru +2). it keeps putting it on -2 and ive been reading through my manual and i cant set it in manual mode, i keep having to use my flash.
I sat not long ago and pondered this exact question/thought for quite some time until it completely smacked me right in the side of the head.

The exposure compensation that you are talking about in MANUAL mode is not a setting like it is in all other modes. It is only showing what the exposure is with your set shutter and Aperture (along with ISO). If it is showing -2EV, then change your shutter to a slower/longer setting or aperture to larger setting (lower number). You set your shutter and aperture in MANUAL until you see that exposure bar move to the center.

No matter what setting you want to use you need to pay attention to what the meter says. You can stray from the setting some because the meter is not always right. Sometimes the meter will get fooled by a particularly bright area of your image or you may not want the 18% grey the meter is trying to render your scene as. When you start to use manual mode this is the main thing you have to learn and that is how to properly interpret your meter reading to get what you want out of the scene.

i bought the book "understanding exposure" tonight so ill be reading that.

i bought the book "understanding exposure" tonight so ill be reading that.
Then from what I gather from the first couple of chapters, you are going to learn everything you are pondering about right now. I'm only through the first few chapters and have learned a TON of information.

Most reactions

Back