ok so opinions?

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have saved up a bunch of money. Well its not THAT much but its a lot to me! I have a few choices. I can either upgrade my flash that I have now and get a flash bracket too. Also I can get a cheaper (maybe sigma) wide angle lens that I won't really find much use for other than large bridal parties at weddings.
OR...
I can use ALL of the money I have saved to get one lens only - that being the Canon 35mm 1.4.

What would you do?

Welllllllll, the first question of course is what will you mainly be shooting, i personally would go for that prime if your gonna be shooting weddings.

Welllllllll, the first question of course is what will you mainly be shooting, i personally would go for that prime if your gonna be shooting weddings.

Yes I only have a few weddings this year but if it goes anythign like my portraiture that will pick up in 09' possibly. The main lens I use for portraits now is an 85mm 1.8 which I love! But I need one that will fit everyone in to where I don't have to stand 100 feet away! lol
Thanks for your opinion. This is a big decision for me!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're looking at a f/1.4 than you are likely wanting to shoot with available light which contradicts the flash upgrade.

Hmmm. I would think that studio type photography would benefit from creative flash as the f/1.4 isn't that great advantage.... I dunno. I have a 35mm f/2 Nikkor and love it, but this is a tough question. I'd probably go with another flash and (if you don't have) a 50mm f/1.8.

The 35mm 1.4 would be great at wedding receptions, but the flash sounds like you might put it to intimidate use.

When I read your question, I hear the choice is between a better on-camera flash and a premium lens.

The lens offers so much more than a bright maximum aperture. In fact, I doubt I'd ever shoot at 1.4, but find the superior optics very desirable.

-Pete

kundalini - hey there. I do have a flash its just not the bestest! lol. It works. I was going to upgrade. I will still no matter what have to get a bracket.
Most of my stuff is portraiture but I have weddings in there too - the capability of being able to open up that wide is awesome but I won't obviously be able to do all natural light for wedding receptions. If I get a wide angle lens I will most likely ONLY use it for wedding party shots and that won't get me the most for my money if I can get the other one (the 1.4) and use it for other stuff to.
I hate typing I feel like I don't make much sense! ;)

RyanLilly - I like to shoot natural light wherever I can get away with it. I can't avoid it always though and there are just so many choices of lenses that I am confused, don't know what will get the most use. Thankds for your input.

Christie Photo - well you're right - the ? is about the upgraded flash but also a wide angle with that - or the prime. I just feel tha tI wont get too much use with a wide angle. What lens do you use for group shots at weddings?

The 35mm isn't much of a wide angle even on film. It's a really nice lens though.

Let me ask which will make you the most money? Which will save you the most time? Are there other pieces of equipment that will better serve your photography than even these? (light modifiers, backdrops and so forth)

Sorry to confuse the issue, if you just want to justify getting a new lens you might be happier with a 1x-5xmm f/2.8. :)

I just feel that I wont get too much use with a wide angle. What lens do you use for group shots at weddings?

Well, Like Mike_E just said... it really isn't that wide of a lens. In fact, it's so VERY close to a normal lens with your format.

I always like to use the longest lens possible (within reason)... even for large group photos. It would be a nice lens for full length portraits too, so I think you'll find you'll use this lens a lot.

But I want to stress again.... it's not just that it's a bright lens.... or even that it's a slightly wide lens.... it's a QUALITY lens. You'll see the difference, especially on your monitor.

If I had this lens, it WOULD be on my D5 for group photos at weddings... without a doubt.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

-Pete

Well whatever you decide just don't buy it at Bernie's.

Mike_E - I will look into that one, thanks for the suggestion. Oh yeah there are a ton of things I need to get to improve! I mostly do portraiture at the moment and it's really picking up but I would like the next lens I buy to be useful in both situations. Really I need to just hit the lottery! ;)

ChristiePhoto - I am leaning towards that one, I've read excellent reviews. I know that on my camera - the XTi- it's not going to be a very wide lens at all. There are too many choices for me! I think what I will do is for my June wedding i have a backup camera, it's a Nikon and the lender has a wide angle. Thats what I will use for my group shots for that wedding so I have more time to decide what to do and in the meantime I can save even more. But I'll let you know what I decide when I stop being wishy washy. ;)

JIP - YEAH! No kidding! I returned that wide angle I had bought there last week today and they were so nasty to me! I said I wanted to get the 35mm 1.4 and they were like why would you want that? lol! Then he hands me this film camera and says to me see? This is what you'll see through that, it's not what you need.
I told him I wasnt happy with the sharpness (or lack thereof) of the lens he talked me into and he starts drawing me a diagram of a railroad track to explain aperture to me!!!!! DER! Like I don't know this already? Are you serious??!?!?!!? LMAO
I bought some seamless paper because they're the only ones that have it and I wanted to try it before I get it online and I left. They will never see me again!

Well that's pretty much my experience with them. I went in there with cash in hand to buy a Metz 60CT-1 and mabye a 4 (this was a long time ago) and they gave me that "what do you want that for" crap and I walked right then and there.

I don't see why they care what you want to buy or not. I was surprised they didn't ask me - what are you going to do with that paper? Why are you choosing that color? That isnt what you want. haha.
Oh yeah - AND when I was originally there to get the lens I asked them to order in a Metz for me and he said it would be there Monday - which Monday - a year from now Monday? Cause it's been 2 mondays and it still wasn't there! For someone who seems desperate to keep camera purchases local he sure makes it a lot easier for me to order online!!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back