OK - the first few for you guys to tear up...

Infinite_Day

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The first two I am curious about thoughts and which one is preferred. First, what I think: The first one has some depth of field issues which I don't think I mind - the bolts on the front flange are slightly out of focus but I don't think that it bothers me. The feather - well I'm just not sure if I should have brought the leaf on the left into focus or not. I like how smooth the background came out and wonder that it might not have been so had I increased the depth of field... These are uncropped images - I just reduced the size. The first two have not been adjusted. The flower has had some minor brightness and contrast adjustments. Thoughts? These are just a few of the images I am processing. I may put some more up if I don't get destroyed too badly on these ;) Thanks for having a look.

Fan 1 Small by Infinite_Day, on Flickr

Fan 2 Small by Infinite_Day, on Flickr

Feather Small by Infinite_Day, on Flickr

Flower Small by Infinite_Day, on Flickr

I like the composition of 1 better than 2. It tells more of a story.

Thanks - I like that one better myself.

I figured I might get at least a couple more comments. Maybe they're just that good so nobody has anything to critique!

the flower and feather would be better with colors i think.

Flower Color Small by Infinite_Day, on Flickr

My problem is that I have two laptops and no desktop for editing/viewing. On my old laptop I have Photoshop CS and GIMP. The photos show up darker on this laptop than on my wife's new laptop which has Nikon Capture on it. Neither is calibrated, of course. On my wife's they look like they should. Since I took the B&W photos in monochrome in the camera but in RAW format, the color data was still present. I did a white balance adjustment but I don't know if I actually needed to. I need to get a decent desktop.

Flower Color Small by Infinite_Day, on Flickr

My problem is that I have two laptops and no desktop for editing/viewing. On my old laptop I have Photoshop CS and GIMP. The photos show up darker on this laptop than on my wife's new laptop which has Nikon Capture on it. Neither is calibrated, of course. On my wife's they look like they should. Since I took the B&W photos in monochrome in the camera but in RAW format, the color data was still present. I did a white balance adjustment but I don't know if I actually needed to. I need to get a decent desktop.

This version is WAY better than the BW version. Interesting composition and the contrasting blue/violet of the feather really makes it stand out against the green.

The second over the first for sure, as it fills the frame with the only interesting part of the image, but go back in cloudy weather.

The second over the first for sure, as it fills the frame with the only interesting part of the image, but go back in cloudy weather.

Curious as to why go back in cloudy weather? To tone down the light some? The paint on the metal really only pops when the sun is out. I thought about trying the shot again yesterday with some clouds but the tones just didn't seem right.

Curious as to why go back in cloudy weather? To tone down the light some? The paint on the metal really only pops when the sun is out. I thought about trying the shot again yesterday with some clouds but the tones just didn't seem right.

I don't think the heavy shadows add anything to the image and I usually like to avoid them if they're not the subject I'm interested in. However, I haven't seen this without the bright sunlight, so it may be that the overall effect is better as is. A partly sunny day, perhaps?

I'd probably have to use a flash or get to the spot earlier in the morning to deal with the shadows. I actually wanted to incorporate the shadows into the image - I thought they played well with the industrial nature of the shot. I tried to shoot it so there would be contrast but no serious loss of detail in the shadowed areas. I will try it with different light or with a flash when I manage to purchase one. Thanks for the suggestions! It's good to get different perspectives - I think it helps me from looking at things from one point of view all the time.

i quite like 1, Always been a fan of rust. might look good with a tad bit more contrast and lighter at the bottom

i quite like 1, Always been a fan of rust. might look good with a tad bit more contrast and lighter at the bottom

I guess I really need to get a speedlight so I can do multiple shots and use some fill flash to eliminate the shadowed areas on some shots. I was thinking that was going to be my next purchase. It was either that or a good tripod. I need about $3K to buy more kit but if I want to go on vacation next year that's out of the question right now. I spoiled my wife by taking her out west for two weeks last year and to Scotland for two weeks this year. Think we're planning Ireland for next year - my bank account weeps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back