Ok what gear do I need for a wedding?

Hair Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I posted a while ago explaining I have been asked to do a family wedding.

I have talked to them about my concerns and what I think I can and can't do.

I have told them i really only do informal shots and they are cool with this but would like 6-8 Formal if possible.

Camera will either be film based Nikon F-601 with 30-70 lens ( i have two bodies so can run B/W and colour) or I will splash out and get a D80 18-70 kit.

What falsh rig should I look for.

And if using film I will be in 400iso b/w, the day is in late May (uk) so may or may not be sunny. Do you think 200iso would be better for the colour?

They will be in a marque so the light will be well diffussed any way inside.

Any help and tips please as the presure is now on!!

Well 400 film would certainly be more versatile for you, remember that there will many shots in the shade to avoid squinty eyes. And don't forget fill flash. Sorry I can't help you with the flash, I know nothing about Nikon products. Good luck !

What falsh rig should I look for.
If you are going Nikon, I would go with the SB600. You could go with a bracket and cord or maybe a diffuser for the flash. But I don't know how much your going to be investing here.

And if using film I will be in 400iso b/w, the day is in late May (uk) so may or may not be sunny. Do you think 200iso would be better for the colour?
I thought this was coming up soon...... you've got time for practicing. 200 would be fine I would suspect. May want to have some 400/800 just in case.

If you go digital, keep in mind you will need to purchase LOTS of memory for the camera. I wouldn't do a wedding with less than 6gig.

Tripods are a must. A list of formal/traditional/family/fun shots is always a great idea. This will speed the time between ceremony/reception.

hyp0rbyte said:
If you go digital, keep in mind you will need to purchase LOTS of memory for the camera. I wouldn't do a wedding with less than 6gig.

With 2 good 1GB cards and a PSD (Portable Storage Device) you can shoot 20GB worth of images that day.
Well, of course only if you're a really fast photog . . . :D
While you download one full card onto the PSD you continue shooting with the other card in your cam.

So the PSD needs to be the type with its own cardreader. Not the type that connects to and reads directly from your camera, because while it's doing that you can't use the camera for shooting! Weddings don't wait!

Here are a couple PSD's (<&#8211;click!)

I'm trying to get a Stroboframe and SB600 flash. Its will fit both the D80 or my current Nikon.

Then I can pratice with it.

Yes may 07 seems a long way off but it will be here in...

... well a flash!

Ifthe D80 appears then teh 601 will be used for back up. Two bodies for the 601 so just battery and film.

I have a tripod somewhere in the office so will see how good it is.

And I just read the wedding sticky, so apart from my nervs I'm good to go! LOL

If you're happy shooting film, I wouldn't start shooting digital all of a sudden. Get 15 rolls or black/white and shoot to your heart's content.

I see your point Doc but the digital would give me chance to see the pics as I go, call it a little insurance

Hair Bear said:
I see your point Doc but the digital would give me chance to see the pics as I go, call it a little insurance

It's called 'chimping'. And it has its uses.
WATCH OUT, however: wedding photography is about catching all the right moments. You run the very real risk of missing some of those moments because you are busy chimping at that particular moment . . .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back