Okay, my future plan for analog photography

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will sell my Tokina 11-16/2.8. I've probably gotten 10-15 responders on my listing, but I can't sell it until I'm done working as a festival photographer. I'll keep my 40D and nifty fifty for those product shots I might be doing of stuff I might sell. Selling that lens will finance 40% of my new setup, which includes

- Vöigtlander Bessa R3m
- Vöitglander 50mm/1.1 OR Vöigtlander 40mm/1.4 OR Vöigtlander 35mm/1.4 (though the R3m does not have framelines for 35mm). Leica lenses will also fit this camera, and there are adapters for other manufacturers as well). I'll most likely go for the 50mm, although I like the ~40mm perspective on my current rangefinders.

Vöigtlander lenses are fairly inexpensive, and I've read good things about them. My main argument for choosing This Bessa over an older Leica (M3, for example), is the 1:1 viewfinder. I think that will be absolutely wonderful to use. R3m due to its viewfinder and mechanical shutter.

When shall I get this? Probably January 2013, when my student loan comes. Then I'll get $3200 on my account (extra big amount every January and August, to pay for books and memberships and stuff like that. I prioritize differently ;) ).

So, there you have it. That's my current plan, and I can't wait! :)

Thoughts?

So you want to be a rangefinder man. Visit rangefinder forum for info on the Bessa and lenses. There is a whole sub-forum for that.

Benn a member for months, checked out much already :)

You forgot a Paterson tank, changing bag, and some chemicals.

My only rangefinder is a Bessa R and I really it, especially the viewfinder. The only problem is it's mated to a Jupiter 8, which was a great pick up at $20 but leaves a bit to be desired in the IQ level..

50f1.1 is my next buy for my M4 they say it is as good as Noctiluk F1 but not F0.95 and i will probably get a Bessa R so i can have 28mmf2 on M4 and 50 on Bessa

StreetView said:
You forgot a Paterson tank, changing bag, and some chemicals.

My only rangefinder is a Bessa R and I really it, especially the viewfinder. The only problem is it's mated to a Jupiter 8, which was a great pick up at $20 but leaves a bit to be desired in the IQ level..

My Jupiter 8 is very sharp on my Zorki 4

FYI, M3 has a 1:1 viewfinder.

But, that said, Bessas are ok. They have a tendency to jam up though, from what i've read anyway, never actually used one so it's all internet heresay. Voigtlander lenses are a good value. My 28mm Ultron f/2 is awesome.. Personally, i'd go with a M3 over a Bessa if you don't need a meter, but having an in-camera meter is nice, plus there is easier film loading in the Bessa.

Jupiter 8 will be sharp on a Zorki because it's made to fit it. On a Leica, it has to be shimmed or else the focus will be slightly off. I've had two copies of J8s that wouldn't focus right on my M6 (with adapter) or on my IIIf.. I thought my camera might be the issue, but then I bought an old Summitar 5cm collapsible for $300 that is super sharp!

FYI, M3 has a 1:1 viewfinder.

Isn't it a 0.91x finder? I don't find it important, however - you can shoot with both eyes open even when the finder magnification isn't unity.

My bad.. you were closer, it's .92x apparently.. I only tried one once and the guy that owned it told me it was 1:1 and when I looked through it seemed like it was. Guess .92 is pretty close.

I'll try to get the darkroom chief in on cleaning out old chemicals and see if the photo club is willing to spend some money on their darkroom. It's almost forgotten. But then again, only two-three people use it.

But then again, only two-three people use it.
So much the better. If you can get enough folks to chip in but be able to work there by yourself most of the time, you'll have fewer chances for mishaps. ;) Community darkrooms can be a great thing, though!

It's so small only one person is able to work there efficiently. One enlarger as well.

That's even better. :lol: Hope you all can pitch in to keep the space available to you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back