Okay so I've narrowed it down. Canon vs. Olympus

meganc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Canon Rebel XTi.....or Olympus Evolt E-410
I've decided I'm going to wait to get the Nikon D80 or D200 until I have more money, but I still want a camera to have until then. But now I'm stuck between Canon and Olympus. Money doesn't make a difference in these two for me. So what do you think?

Neither, if you're planning on using Nikon in the future, than why not start in the system early on? I say a D40 or D50 if you're goign to use Nikon in the future, that way, you won't have to change complete system outfits when you upgrade.

Our local Sears photo uses Olympus cameras and they "can" take great photos depending on who's behind the camera (our last guy did a fab job and made me look 50 pounds lighter and 10 years younger just by lighting us right...no major retouching done because we printed and had our prints in less than an hour).

Canon has a pretty big line so I'd imagine lenses are pretty available.

But if you're planning to get a Nikon later, have you considered the D50 or the D70? You can find the D50 online for around $600, sometimes less. These have full AF lens function so you wouldn't have the issue with having to get the AF-S lenses and if you build your system you'd be able to use your same lenses and flash (maybe even save by buying body only when you upgrade).

If you plan to build a system, it makes sense to be able to add to it rather than starting over when you upgrade. It's not about which name is better, but what works for you.

Yeah I thought about that. But they're all under 6 mp under the D80, and I have a 6mp camera, so I wanted something more than that. I don't know...

Yeah I thought about that. But they're all under 6 mp under the D80, and I have a 6mp camera, so I wanted something more than that. I don't know...

Nikon D40: 6.1 mp
Nikon D40x: 10.2 mp
Nikon D50: 6.1 mp
Nikon D70: 6.1 mp

The Nikon D40x has more than 6 mp but the pixel count is not that important; the quality from a 6 mp SLR will be far superior to a 6 mp point and shoot camera for example (and probably better than most P&S, no matter how many pixels they offer).

I agree with Sw1tchFX; it makes sense to go with Nikon. If you buy something like a D40/D40x, you will be able to use it as a second body when you buy the D80. Buying a system is expensive and switching brands is an unnecessary expense IMHO.

Buy yourself something like this then:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/495625-REG/Canon_2047B001_PowerShot_SD850_IS_Digital.html

This would tide you over for now. You need to understand that when you buy something like the camera above, that is what you are getting, a camera. When you buy a DSLR you are not buying a camera, you are buying a system. It is a waste to spend money on a DSLR and a lens or two only to get rid of them when you have saved the money for a D80 or D200. If Nikon is your choice of systems then buy a P&S now that you can still use later when you do not want to get out the DSLR. Save your money and put the money you planned on spending on the Canon or Olympus on better lenses than the basic kit stuff. With a fair camera and great glass you can get great shots. With a Great camera and crappy glass you will never get past crappy. Your money could be more wisely spent than buying one system and then switching to another because now you have the money.

Or you could take a hard look at the Canon line. The XTI could be a good starter and then when you have the money you could graduate to a 5D and still spend money on good glass from Canon. There are lots of ways to approach this that would make more sense money wise. Good luck.

Yeah I don't know, I like the Nikon D40x, but I don't know how good it is compared to the other cameras...I just don't know. I guess I can get the D40x...I mean it would make more sense.

Lol I posted my D40x qualms 3 times today already. Let's say I would look at a second hand D50 if anything. Also why not go Canon. If you want a Canon XTi then there's no reason you can't upgrade to a Canon 20D. It's nearly on par with the D200 IMO and better than the D80 by far. It makes no sense to plan to jump ship.

Garbz, I'm terribly curious here. You have posted several times your qualms with a d40 or d40x, yes, but from what I have read, your problem is with the expense of the lenses. But if one starts with this camera, all lenses or flashes they buy for it CAN be used on the upgrade cameras, am I not right? And the lenses that do not auto focus with it (because they aren't AF-S or AF-I), will fit, but will be manual focus.

Is there another reason why you are against the D40x? Or is it only because of the lens thing? Yes the body is light and big man hands might break it, but gentle woman hands aren't likely to do it damage. Yes it only has three focal points, but does a beginner really need more? Is there some other major defect no one else has publicized?

Now for me, the decision to go ahead and buy the D40 rather than save for the D50 or higher was for one BIG reason...a $150 discount over anywhere else. The advanced (or as some call it, SLR-like) P&S I was considering was more expensive than that. I can get an SB-400 for $108 (even if the SB-400 isn't that great on other cameras, $108 isn't a huge throwaway) and a 55-200 f3.5-5.6 zoom lens for $235. I will probably buy a f2.8 or 1.8 lens and teach myself to manual focus (it can't hurt...blurry files can be tossed, it's not like I'm wasting film). Then one day when I can afford one of the better cameras, I won't have lost what I already have and what I have will be compatible with the other cameras, just not the other way around.

Megan, you can read a comparrison of the nikons (and the XTi) here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/d200-d80-d70-d50-d40-5d-xti.htm

The megapixels aren't quite as important as the marketing departments of some camera companies would have you believe. I've printed 11X14s from my 5MP camera, even with some crop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back