oktave

Number 9 is symbollic of the lonesome days faced when in retirement. Or something.

What is Oktave?

It's a traditional christian period of the year where lot's of chrisitians pilgrim to the cathedral of Luxemburg-city to the "Muttergottes" (Jesus' Mom).
It's a very old tradition and part of Luxemburgs culture. These shots were taken on the final procession through the city, where many clericals, politicans, the grand-duc and his family, and a lot of "normal" people walk through the city with the statue of the Muttergottes...
The Oktave lasts for 2 weeks...

At the same time there is what we call the "Maertchen", a little market kind of thing, like on a fair, where you can buy things you don't need, and eat all you can ;-)

hope this explanation isn't to confusing ... :blushing:

Sounds good to me. I didn't know Luxembourg had these sort of things. The only things I heard about it is that it is a tax-free haven. I may come through in my travels....

Does it have anything to do with the number 8?

actually we have quite a vivid culture in Luxemburg, with lots of traditions. But we are also very multicultural, we have a very high percentage of foreigners working and living here, mostly italians & portuguese people that came to Luxemburg in the last century to work in the steelworks here.
Then there are also many refugees from Bosnia and Albania living here.

And of course the influence of our large neighbours France and Germany, and Belgium have an impact on our culture...

(I didn't get what you meant by "Does IT(?) have anything to do with 8?")

You should definitely take a day or two to come to Luxemburg if you're in the area!

Ok, with a little help from my friend I got what you meant with the number 8 :blushing: , and I think it has to do with the fact that at the beginning, the octave lasted for only 8 days (not 2 weeks).

Most reactions

Back