Old 50mm 1.8 AF - no "D" - just bought

LifeORiley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just bought an old 50mm 1.8 AF.

KR says :
"
/1.8: some light falloff. Some coma in the corners and a little less contrast all around seemingly due to spherical aberration
f/2.8: almost no falloff and the coma seems to be gone. Sharp all over
f/4: no falloff. Very sharp all over
f/5.6: great, same as at f/4 Bokeh is fairly nice."

We'll see after I play a bit. I have the 50mm 1.4D (and sold a 1.8G) and I'd like to compare the two lenses just for giggles. I need a 50mm like I need a hole in the head.:ambivalence:
Anybody here have this lens?

Attachments

• 50-18-af-KEN_9986.jpg
    50-18-af-KEN_9986.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 172
The only difference between it and the D version is the D sends the focus Distance of the lens to the camera for better speedlight exposure. Otherwise, they're the same optics.

Thanks for the info 480......I do use my SB700 from time to time and that's good to know.

I wonder why he would say "bokeh fairly nice".From what I've read the 1.8D is well known for having very sharp optics -stopped down- yet unpleasant bokeh. I wondered if some coating/lack of coating or slight change in alignment might have an affect on bokeh - but it sounds like the same lens with same poor bokeh. Only older.

Well for 40.00 bucks, what can go wrong :)

Good lens for $40
I have 3 50mms
a 50 1.8 D
50 1.8 G
and 50 1.4 G (coming in the mail).

I'm going to have to widdle mine down to probably just one, and probably the 1.4

Good lens for $40
I have 3 50mms
a 50 1.8 D
50 1.8 G
and 50 1.4 G (coming in the mail).

I'm going to have to widdle mine down to probably just one, and probably the 1.4

I'm looking to buy some "beach lenses". It kills me to think of the salt air eating my better lenses. I treat my gear great and have never dropped a lens in a swamp before but if I did ;it sure would hurt a lot less with a 40.00 lens.

Widdling down... I've been there. It's easy to become a lens collector ;)

Nice shots Derrel. It's encouraging to know a working pro is using the lens. Maybe there will be a handful of "D" series lenses that survive after all - survive the latest uber sensors that is...

Just got it home - not a scratch anywhere, like brand new, complete with an undamaged "Passed" sticker. Incredible for a lens from the 80's.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back