Old and New

gusandgloria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gloriahopkins.art
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! I'm new around here. Looking to switch from Canon to Pentax (old Canon stuff....need to update), but I'm not totally sold. I have about 20 years experience with wildlife photography (Nikon and Canon) and about 40 years painting. The most important thing to me right now is to have large files of my paintings for prints. I don't want to hire a pro for that. And then I will get back into photography seriously. I'm hoping to purchase something this summer.

Wildlife photographers, how do you like Pentax? What do you love? What do you hate? I've been reading the reviews and will continue to do so, but I've always found that direct advice is always best. Any and all advice will be treasured. Thanks so much in advance, and have a great day.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here.

Welcome. Let's see I bought my first Pentax around 1972. That was when I bought my first newspaper. I tried Canon but given the abuse cameras got they just didn't hold up as well as Pentax, been with them ever since. I currently have a K1000, MZ, K30, K3ii, and a K1 Mark II.

What do I like..........
  • First as already mentioned is their durability and weather sealing.
  • Pentax's commitment to backward/forward compatibility on glass.
  • Built in 5 axis shake reduction is freaky good. I've shot handheld with no blur down to 1/30. Try doing a 4 image pixel shift hand held with another btand,
  • Well layed out controls.
  • Native 819,200 ISO (not software generated like the otners) and built in noise reduction makes for stress free high ISO shots. Routinely shoot at ISO 25,600 with only minimal noise reduction post, and depending on the acceptability of noise up to ISO 102400. After that the images are still usable but the noise becomes increasingly noticeable.
  • Pentax glass is exceptional. Used glass retains its value partly because of the compatibility I mentioned earlier, and partly because of the quality/durability.
What I don't like..........
  • Availability isn't as good as the other brands. Not as many retailers carry the Pentax brand.
  • Glass line up is not as wide, and tends to be a little more expensive. Likewise not as much used glass on the market.
I could probably come up with a few more likes, but I really don't have any downsides.

You mentioned landscapes. Pentax is known for its saturation of colors, especially the greens. Sometimes it can be almost to much, but it's easy to pull down post.

Would I switch after almost 50 years? Nope.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back