Old and Rusty

jadams67

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Being ex-Navy I really like nautical items. I saw this bollard on a pier and just had to take a shot. My wife likes the cropped in version to show the texture.

Attachments

• $11.JPG
    $11.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 87
  • $DSC_0472-2.jpg
    $DSC_0472-2.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 71
I like them both a great deal but I think the 1st one is more interesting of the two I swear I see an animal head in it. the hole closes to the front would be the nose and the small dark spot is the eye gater maybe :p

Kinda neat. If possible I'd like to see more of the rust stains flowing down the side.

I like them both a great deal but I think the 1st one is more interesting of the two I swear I see an animal head in it. the hole closes to the front would be the nose and the small dark spot is the eye gater maybe :p

Agreed, as soon as i opened the thread horse was the first thing that popped in my head.

I think I would like this shot best cropped as you have it but taller to show some of the rust patterns. I think the rust is too intriguing to exclude.

For #1: I see scales, I see nostrils, I see eyes....I see the suggestion of ears.....I'm thinking dragon. Cool shot

Here is another crop. I have had people say horse, lizard, grey hound, dragon. I think it looks like one of the droid soldiers from Star Wars. I just loved the look of the part.

Attachments

• $2.JPG
    $2.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 51
I saw the animal too, but didn't feel like it was accentuated in any way to really call it out.

IMO, it's an interesting object that you mostly took inventory shots of. The more cropped in version has more of a compositional feel to it, but not a lot. At the end of the day the real interest is in the texture, and you didn't get in close enough (macro) to really show us that. Outside of that, the subject isn't interesting enough to stand on its own as a piece of art. It's mostly just a shot of a very big cleat.

I thought of "crocodile head,snout,and eye" when I saw the first shot.

Being a dyed-in-wool record shot taker (a.k.a. snapshooter) myself, I'm afraid manaheim is right. What you have a nicely exposed photo of a cleat and an equally nicely exposed close up of a cleat.

I recently posted a photo of a barn and was basicly told "Yep, it's a barn". To me, it was a h*ll of a nice barn, but to anyone not attached to the photo, it was just a barn. My barn, my friend, is your cleat.

BYW, I see a Komodo Dragon

Most reactions

Back