Old Camera, new lens

Montero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm an amateur photographer that's adopting a Canon Rebel G purchased about 6 years ago. The lens only works manually (original lens 35-80mm). I've been looking for a lens for the camera, but at the cost of buying some of the lenses I've seen, I can purchase a brand new camera!

I use the camera for a wide variety of photos ranging from nightclubs and indoors shots of the kids... to outdoor shots of scenery and the beach. For now, I'd like to buy the lens first, then a flash.

Open to suggestions...

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure what the exact question is...but... In my opinion, which many may not share, a good lens and make a crappy camera good....but a good camera can't make up for a crappy lens.

But a 6 yr old canon should still be great...my camera is probably 15 yrs old at least. So, far I don't see anything wrong with your set up unless you're looking for your lens to perform a specific task like telephoto or macro or wide angle, etc.

So let's get to your lens (which is the standard btw)....most, unless it's permanantly attached to an autofocus camera, are manual only...that's the only thing I'd have. Auto focus are great for instamatic snap shot people, but rarely is the camera thinking the same thing I am about focus. So I want to focus manually.

But say you want a new lens....now is a great time to hit the pawn shops and camera resale shops. A lot of people are throwing out really good equipment relacing it with lower quality digital...just because they think digital means new and good. I bought my minolta with the 35-80 lens at a pawn shop for $125. I then went to a Wolf Camera resale shop and bought a very fast wide angle for $65 and a decent zoom for $40. The deals are everywhere.

...when looking for a used lens, make sure there are no scratches or mold spots on the inside of the lens.

shane has a point. I do know that pawn shops and even some of these internet used equipment places are selling great stuff for cheap. you might want to try the second hand thing first before blowing a wad of cash....who knows, you might find some ignoramous with a fortune in equipment, who wanting to get rid of it all!

md

Two questions:

1. What type of lens would you recommend to replace the old lens given what I use the camera for? (see orig post) Camera: Canon EOS Rebel G

2. What type of flash to augment/replace the built-in flash?

Thanks!

Montero said:
Two questions:

1. What type of lens would you recommend to replace the old lens given what I use the camera for? (see orig post) Camera: Canon EOS Rebel G

2. What type of flash to augment/replace the built-in flash?

Thanks!

Try ebay, stick with canon lenes ultrasonics work great. I have a couple of Sigma's that work extremley nice. Using EOS 10S and EOS 1000QD bodies. My current lens collection Ultrasonic 28-80 Canon Ultrasonic 70-210 Canon, and a Sigma 135-400 APO. EOS equipment is readily available on the ebay market.

Your camera is only too old when it doesn't work anymore. Spend your money on a GOOD lens and put it on your Rebel and wear that puppy out. You can upgrade your camera later and use the same lenses.

Most reactions

Back